Solution Anyone?. Recreational Angling Response

Yes, and no!

Shore fishing in Sussex has shown decline in cod / codling, eels, flounders, plaice, mullet, etc.

But there has been a marked increase in fish like smoothound, dogfish, bass (yes, bass!!), good size bream etc.

Everyone blames commercial (over)fishing, which obviously has an impact. But the fish increasing in numbers apparently prefer clean water. Spider crabs have increased dramatically off the Channel coast, and these live in clean water as opposed to polluted water. The water conditions are much better now than what they were.

Damo, not sure on an increase on sizeable bass, places like Beachy aren't what they used to be for lunker Bass!

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pugs, appear to be more through West Sussex.

But for how long dammo??????

Pair Trawling still not a good idea

Pairs of trawlers, dragging a large net between the two boats, have been fishing for cod off the beach flying a flag that looks like the French Tricoleur, but actually is not. The flag they fly is red, white, blue stripes (not the same order as the French flag) and is the international warning flag for boats pair-fishing. It says you will be unwise to sail between the two boats. Local fisherman are not enthusiastic. These boats come along from Newhaven and take all the fish, disturb the weed on the bottom, and leave nothing for the locals. Why cannot they fish further out in their powerful boats. Tim Loughton MP was going to take this matter up with MAFF to see if something can be done, but the pair-fishing continues.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

But for how long dammo??????

Pair Trawling still not a good idea

Pairs of trawlers, dragging a large net between the two boats, have been fishing for cod off the beach flying a flag that looks like the French Tricoleur, but actually is not. The flag they fly is red, white, blue stripes (not the same order as the French flag) and is the international warning flag for boats pair-fishing. It says you will be unwise to sail between the two boats. Local fisherman are not enthusiastic. These boats come along from Newhaven and take all the fish, disturb the weed on the bottom, and leave nothing for the locals. Why cannot they fish further out in their powerful boats. Tim Loughton MP was going to take this matter up with MAFF to see if something can be done, but the pair-fishing continues.

I know, Stavey. Every Spring off Worthing there are numerous pairs of trawlers stripping the life from the sea bed. It starts when the bream arrive. One year, and this is no exaggeration, they came within a few hundred yards of the pier! I have also seen them in mid summer at low water a similar distance out from the low water mark. But, having said that, there weren't as many pairs last year, and I have it on good authority that the weed beds flourished in certain spots. But are the fish going to return to the beds? Only time (and pair trawlers) will tell.

I know, Stavey. Every Spring off Worthing there are numerous pairs of trawlers stripping the life from the sea bed. It starts when the bream arrive. One year, and this is no exaggeration, they came within a few hundred yards of the pier! I have also seen them in mid summer at low water a similar distance out from the low water mark. But, having said that, there weren't as many pairs last year, and I have it on good authority that the weed beds flourished in certain spots. But are the fish going to return to the beds? Only time (and pair trawlers) will tell.

Hi dammo, you may find that the two pair trawlers in the picture are two of four owned by the same chap? who sits on the ssfc! committee, i wonder if he would put a proposal on the table for a bylaw, to try to put a stop to this sort of thing, to protect and promote marine sustainability and honour is position :lol::lol:

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi dammo, you may find that the two pair trawlers in the picture are two of four owned by the same chap? who sits on the ssfc! committee, i wonder if he would put a proposal on the table for a bylaw, to try to put a stop to this sort of thing, to protect and promote marine sustainability and honour is position :lol::lol:

Pair trawling is one method of fishing that wants banning it is deadly way of fishing and really does need stopping, it hammers cod in clear water during summer where as the single trawl is not as effective.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Teignmouth Sea Angling Society held their dinner and trophy evening recently when around 60 members and guests were welcomed by chairman David Rowe.

Principal guests were Wyvern Division chairman Alex Parker and his wife who later presented the awards for 2005.

However a sign of the decline in fish catches was illustrated by the fact that 25 trophies were not won because certain relevent species are no longer being found around the South West.

see http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/displa...e=sidebarsearch

Teignmouth Sea Angling Society held their dinner and trophy evening recently when around 60 members and guests were welcomed by chairman David Rowe.

Principal guests were Wyvern Division chairman Alex Parker and his wife who later presented the awards for 2005.

However a sign of the decline in fish catches was illustrated by the fact that 25 trophies were not won because certain relevent species are no longer being found around the South West.

see http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/displa...e=sidebarsearch

See also:

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/index.php?view=542

and

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/index.php?view=444

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Up here in the far north inshore waters there certainly was a decline in the haddock catches between the 70's and now.

However having been up here since the mid 80's the catches of cod and lythe have been fairly consistant. The haddock have even started to show again in small numbers.

So what is the solution? well as individuals we all have our own ideas and that is healthy, but not very productive in the long run as doc has sort of outlined, first, i think self admission that we all had a hand in bringing about the situation then, second, doing something about what we may have left, and third, keep on till you have achieved something worthwhile atleast, i personally think it will be hard to bring back the days of yester-year's days of plenty ( here where i am for cod anyway) but there are some sportfish like mullet bass and smoothound that are still around in enough numbers to warrant working at getting things done to protect the future, and that means supporting our representative org's financially, and being prepared to roll up our sleeves when asked or not, practicing one's own conservation like putting back fish alive and carefully! should all be second nature to the modern sea sporting angler, yes and the taking of a fish or two home for supper is ok if people want now and then, but just these latter actions alone is not enough if we are not to see these species go the same way as the cod.

So there is my tuppence worth for the mo and i begining to think it is not worth hammering on, to find common ground with the commercials on here, better for us to decide what is best for the modern sea angler's future and how to go about it? when this is done support our representatives to carry it out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the bass/gill net issue was close to a solution???? Which then creates a pressedent, for the next conservation ideas to be considered? . . . I get so very confused, with the 'on/not on', way things go. I've probably screwed it all up in my mind, ho hum :o:mellow: Just have to kee chearing from the side lines :clap::lol:

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2