Knife sharpening

kirisute

Just been cleaning out the knife block and sharpening up the range of kitchen knives.

I use a Bladetech sharpener and a leaf section diamond draw through for most knives...

But both can be finicky with certain knives....

Without resorting to stones ( I have plenty if them for my machetes and cut throats) has anyone got a one stop sharpener they swear by?

My Bladetech does most and a ceramic "steel" for finishing but, as knives are made of so many different steels I doubt there is one sharpener for all...the closest I have is time consuming and finnicky but produces a razor sharp edge on any blade...a Japanese, King (ice bear) waterstone.

....a combination stone in 1,000/6,000 grit.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I have a 6000 and a 12000 for my straight razors....have to use a slurry stone with the 12000!

It's fine if your planning a long afternoon of sharpening but no good for kitchen knives that are constantly used and need a more durable edge.

I've been using a Chef'sChoice sharpener for some years. I use the model 120 since it matches most of the knives I normally use and have found that running a knife through the stropping stage after each use keeps the edge really sharp and only takes a few seconds.

They have a variety and one of the others might suit your needs better. The things hold up well. I gave my old one (used it for over 10 years) to a son-in-law because I wanted a different model and its still working fine for him.

http://www.chefschoice.com/page2a.html

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A friend of mine swears by lansky sharpeners, I've never used one so can't comment, the spyderco sharpmaker gets some good reviews as well, once again I haven't used one so can't comment personally but I am on the look out for sharpener myself so may have to invest in one of the above at some point soon.

Edited by snakey1

I've used a spider co and they are ok but they are not fail safe and you do still need to be careful on blade angle etc ok for hunting knives etc

But for the kitchen I just want foolproof, no hassle, quick and dirty sharpening.

Might have to invest on electric at this rare.

Did just invest in a "spaghetti" knife block though! Very good idea!

And half price compared to anywhere else!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2682268.htm