blandford flies

viney

Anybody heard of them? No? Neither had I until one bit me last night, now my hand is twice it's original size and spreading up my arm. Few hours in a&e and I've been sent off with some extra strong antihistamines and the hope it doesn't get infected!

Moral of the story is don't forget insect repellent!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

These little sods were a mystery to me too until a few weeks ago - managed to whack it as it bit me without bending it out of shape too much, so was able to identify it ... mid-calf, hurt like hell and an impressive lump for several days which itched to the point of insanity!

......... and I'm WELL north of Dorset!

Blackflies. Nasty little buggers!

We used to get bitten fishing the Teme in May and I recall some serious problems for residents along the river Tame.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

IMAG0486.jpg

That's quite mild, they can swell up way worse than that: I've not had one myself but they were often featured in our local papers before they began eradicating the little blighters, not seen one for a while.

I get bitten by them several times a year recently, last time I had two bites at once, they seem to be on the increase. I have a little river across the road, which means I've even been bitten by them outside the back door. I seem to be getting some tolerance to them now, just an annoyance (still a pain when you get bitten on the hand, gets so swollen I can't close my fist which affects reel use). Different species live in different areas, and you also get different ones depending on the time of year. Elsewhere in the world they transmit some significant diseases, but nothing recorded here.

The larvae live in clean, usually running, freshwater, I was once advising someone on their large garden pond, disassembled some of the filtration system and on every possible surface there was a carpet of larvae, glad I wasn't sitting out in that garden on a sunny day.

Only good things about them is that they are day-active so you can see them approach, and grayling like eating the larvae.