Overview

sam-cox

Yesterday I saw my first swallows and house martins of this 2006 spring, most years in mid spring this would aid me in signifying the arrival of the bass. However this year I’m afraid even the site of these agile little birds has sparked any enthusiasm. As they say one swallow does not a summers make!

Up until three weeks ago here in the Thames Estuary we have had nothing except stiff east and North East winds, this has put the sea temperature down to a level that is not going to entice the early arrival of our summer fish. This also has a ripple effect right across the marine food chain; the crabs will not start molting for a few weeks yet, the few eels we still get will be late arriving and the mackerel shoals we now get will also be late.

So there will be little food for any early arrivals, with maybe the exception of the thornback rays. Our early thornbacks feed on the week herring that are or have just spawned way up river. However from reports I have heard on my grape vine even these fish have been patchy and mostly well offshore.

Normal years would see me after my first bass come March the sixteenth, but this year I have sort a different quarry. For the last three months I have been targeting the basses cousin the perch. I have discovered thanks to Anglers net pal Sharkbyte that these excellent sporting fish can be targeted on very light tackle and live baits.

This exciting angling has sustained my addiction for quality fishing sport through the winter doldrums.

Now all I wish for is some good summer sport, this comes in the form of bass, mullet, smoothounds, tope and thornbacks.

Anticipation in my minds eye is high, as it is at this time every year. However if the shore bass fishing last year is anything to go on I could be up for a big let down.

So the plan is to try and not rush things, the weather has meant work to my Del Quay dory has been slow and will not increase until the weather has picked up.

Once this happens I have at least one months work to complete with my farther the brains behind this project work on the boat has to be at times convenient to us both.

All in all this coming summers sport still hangs in the balance, sure I will catch some fish, some will be good fish from friends boats, some will come from the banks of the Crouch and Blackwater estuaries and some will come from the piers in my area. But hopefully lots will come from my own little boat as last year I had to rely on mates taking me afloat and there’s nothing quite like being your own captain!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hay Sam, well put, enjoyed reading that.

A thought, Perch can grow to a reasonabl size, and pound for pound, punch above their weight, however, my experiance, now a few years out of date, tells me that 1 or 2 pounds was a good fish, 3 or 4lb's was a specimin, how have your catches been shaping up using live bait, which of course may be the key?

:ph34r: Cliff

Edited by CJS2

Livlies seem to be the key on the rivers, but big lobs with sweet corn are doing the biz on the pits.

Its like bassing different baits for different locations. Live baits do seem to sort out better bass but I have caught very small bass on pout just an inch small than them selves.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Sure seems that spring has finally sprung down here Sam, a really nice warm day today.

Sea temp is still a bit down on usual for this time of year so the bass are a bit scarce I hear.

Good job too 'cos my boats still out of the water needing some TLC and the missus has this strange idea I should finish building our house :headhurt:

Women :rolleyes:

My pal has had them to 3.8, I had them to 3.5. The tree of us have caught many over 1.5lb with a fair few over 2.5lb. good sport on feeder rods and 3 to 5lb line.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

My pal has had them to 3.8, I had them to 3.5. The tree of us have caught many over 1.5lb with a fair few over 2.5lb. good sport on feeder rods and 3 to 5lb line.

Sounds like you caught some very fine perch indeed :)

Live to fish!!

yes, but roll on the bass,n, mullet!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

I will second that! i have had to just take out a second mortgage for all the new lures, rods and reels I have bought for India on thurs, luckily most will do very nicely for bass as well :D

Live to fish!!

Not long now..........................

Not long now.......................... :wallbash:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."