Overview

sam-cox

My pal has had them to 3.8, I had them to 3.5. The tree of us have caught many over 1.5lb with a fair few over 2.5lb. good sport on feeder rods and 3 to 5lb line.

Thats what I was wondering Sam, 1.5 to 2.5lbs, thats curent bass size on a fair to middlig day, 3 to 5lb line and appropriate rod??? Scale down similarly for bass and the 'small ones' 1 to 2lb will give an account of them selfs? :idea:

Cliff :ph34r:

In past years I have targeted these early bass at a couple of very shallow marks. These marks are only 5 feet deep at high water.

I normally use a carp rod with a small ABU 5500c loaded weith 10lb line. I use 1.5 to 2 oz plain leads. There is the odd good fish and I am fishing next to hundreds of sticks so 10lb line is sensable. These fish average 1.5lb but reguarly go to 3.5lb. I use 4/0 hooks to avoid deep hooking and hitew bites very quickly. The fish fight wellin the very shallow water.

This year I intend on trying my feeder rod and 8lb line, should be fun!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

The ability of ultra light lines is often underated for catching relatively big fish. We have had accidentally hooked pike to over 15lb this winter on 3lb line and still landed them with relative ease.

The only limitations in the sea would be excessive snags, weed and tide run. Find the right spot (not many I know) and you could have some seriously good sport.

In past years I have targeted these early bass at a couple of very shallow marks. These marks are only 5 feet deep at high water.

I normally use a carp rod with a small ABU 5500c loaded weith 10lb line. I use 1.5 to 2 oz plain leads. There is the odd good fish and I am fishing next to hundreds of sticks so 10lb line is sensable. These fish average 1.5lb but reguarly go to 3.5lb. I use 4/0 hooks to avoid deep hooking and hitew bites very quickly. The fish fight wellin the very shallow water.

This year I intend on trying my feeder rod and 8lb line, should be fun!

Sounds good to me Sam, got some 10lb line sitting on my desk now waiting to be loaded on my 'brand spanking new' woOOw!!! 6500, and then there is the No8 fly rod, thats been dusted of.

KTs been out of the water for the past week, goes back on Thursday afternoon. Had an anode continuity failure, found out when one of the anode bolts broke off, whoops! 3ft water fountain, Panic, run around like a chicken with no head, hammer, wood peg, phew!!! As I say all sorted now.

I'd like to have a go, see if there is an early bass or two over the weekend, trouble is there will be so much boat trafic, the Yachties are straining at the lesh, negoshiating the lock will be an experience in ites self :lol: This early few weeks makes great people watching as they make ar$e$ of themselves!

I think the sudden influx of trafic might puts the good? bass down, tides are not right either, its ebbing when Id like it to be flooding, . . . or was that the other way round!!! Who cares, the weather looks fairly good so just to be afloat will be enough . . . yeha I tell porkies as well :lol:

Enjoy your Easter all, Cliff :ph34r:

PS, by the way, Hazel is still hanging in there, she will be on board over the weekend, thanks for all your kind thoughts. CJ & HY :sun::clap:

Edited by CJS2