Line caught Herring?

mahoo

Hi all,

I was going through the greenpeace website on sustainable fisheries today and on their section on which fish to buy and which to avoid, they suggest only buying line caught Herring, along with line caught Lemon Sole, line caught Witch and line caught Dabs and Flounders.

Am I right in thinking apart from angler caught Dabs and Flounders that there just simply isn't a line fishery for any of the above species and although herring sometimes do get caught on mini shrimp rigs, it certainly would not be a commercial option?

What does anyone think?

Live to fish!!

I presume they are talking about 'LONGLINES' which a few still here practice.

I am sure if they knew what they were talking about they wouldn't say the things they do.

Just saw an article on the news about the 'new' Barramundi' farm in the New Forest. Still no mention of what they feed the fish on to get them to grow.

There is no easy answer, anybody that gives a suggestion is just picking the lesser of the evils as I see it.

The only way to increase fish catch is to increase fish stocks and that means starting at the beginning and getting all to agree and that 'aint' NEVER going to happen

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Just goes to show how careful you need to be when reading some of the guff that Greenpeace put out and promote as fact.

Never heard of any commercial targeting of any of the species listed but will stand to be corrected if proved wrong, but theres absolutely no long line fishing activity for the species they mention so if we look for species they list to buy only if caught by "sustainable methods" , then we won't be buying any fish of any sort at any time

Usually starting in may you start to get the spring herring showing up here, and the funny thing is if you use small hokias you can sometimes catch them 3 at a time fresh herring a superb bait for cod and ling why they will grab the hokias in spring is quite strange as when in summer when it is thick with them they dont seem to want to know.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

I know a lot of the commercial boats out of Portsmouth still 'rod and line' for Bass in the summer.

Perhaps that is similar to what they want

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

I know a lot of the commercial boats out of Portsmouth still 'rod and line' for Bass in the summer.

Perhaps that is similar to what they want

This herring thing is strange cod go mad for pirks inshore during may, june, july and early august then for some reason they turn there noses up at them but when you go out to the 20 mile there is no difference they will grab them like hell.

Shads will take a cod when a pirk wont there is one thing for sure you will never weigh it up .

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg