Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report

Indian Lagoon Coast Fishing Report, April 10, 2006

Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

Just the other morning, I found myself once again perched along the Lagoon’s edge to observe the sunrise. The sky was deep blue with the exception of the sun’s fiery orange fingers, which reached up through the darkness and glistened across the lagoon’s surface like a million tiny mirrors. From my vantage point I watched a small school of nervous mullet fry drawn out of a backwater creek into the deeper flat by the diminishing water levels experienced in spring. On the deep side of the baitfish school a large redfish slowly herded them inward closer and closer to the shore. On the edge of the shoreline several happy reddish egret took advantage of the occasion as they drove the baitfish back out dipping and flaring their wings. Soon a school of jack crevelle and some more herons and egrets joined in, as the feeding frenzy intensified. Working together they feasted on the terrified mullet fry until the morning sun cleared the horizon.

For years I’ve observed the relationship between predators and pray and such is the cycle of life on the lagoon. When the April moon reaches it full phase in a few days, sow trout will be call in for the spawn by the smaller drumming males. This activity coincides with the hatch of the mullet and the higher salinity levels of the lagoon, and it signals the return of the top water plug action for trout and redfish.

Small surface plugs like the Chug-Bug, Pop-R, and Johnny Rattler fished, worked, as close to the edge of the shore will produce some explosive action. These fish are aggregated for the spawn, so they should be handled and released with extreme care to help maintain future populations. Once the top water bite diminishes, try working the deeper edges (two to three feet) using soft plastic jigs like the Riptide Realistic Shrimp with a Woodie’s Rattle Insert or Woodie’s Rattling Hook. Another positive sign for the fishery is the number of rat reds being caught and released in the Mosquito Lagoon this year. With a rapid growth rate, redfish reach the minimum slot size in just two years (18 inches), and the maximum slot size (27 inches) at three years when they become sexually mature. With this in mind, we should see a banner year for redfish in 2007.

In closing, I would like to wish everyone a happy Easter, and I hope to see you on the water soon. As always, if you have any questions on need further information, please contact me.

Upcoming events and seminars:

Coastal Angler Magazines Fishing and Boating Expo held at the Melbourne Civic Auditorium, May 19th, 20th, and 21st. I will be conducting a braided line clinic sponsored by Ande Line. Come learn the ins and outs of light tackle fishing with braided line. http://www.coastalanglermagazine.com/modul...=article&sid=69

Sports Fishing Magazine’s FishStock 2006 in New Smyrna Beach on Memorial Day Weekend, May 27th, 28th. I will be conducting a new tackle clinic called “New Gear, New Applications”. Come visit me, and we will review what is new in the fishing tackle industry. http://www.fishstock.com/index.jsp

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn

www.irl-fishing.com

407-416-1187 on the water

407-366-8085 office

866-790-8081 toll free

Skank