Poll, would you eat coarse fish?

Guest Josh Iddon

Coarse fish  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Would you eat coarse fish?

• Yes.
    • No.

While on a moter bikeing holiday in the Arden Belgium a couple of weeks ago, I managed a couple hours fishing on a river, caught a half dozen barble, kept one for the BB back at base camp that evening, very tasty but full of those terrible little bones in the flesh like pike have.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While on a moter bikeing holiday in the Arden Belgium a couple of weeks ago, I managed a couple hours fishing on a river, caught a half dozen barble, kept one for the BB back at base camp that evening, very tasty but full of those terrible little bones in the flesh like pike have.

You ate a barbel ? oh good god, what have you done ? I'll have to call the Police...

If you fillet them right you can avoid all the bones in a pike quite easily. I don't think they are anything to write home about eaten as a piece of fish, but they are OK in fish based cooking (fishcakes, pie, stew etc) I'd only eat coarse fish from game waters where they aren't wanted and the water is clean.

Remember they are called "coarse" fish because of their eating qualities!

If you fillet them right you can avoid all the bones in a pike quite easily. I don't think they are anything to write home about eaten as a piece of fish, but they are OK in fish based cooking (fishcakes, pie, stew etc) I'd only eat coarse fish from game waters where they aren't wanted and the water is clean.

Remember they are called "coarse" fish because of their eating qualities!

I may be wrong Colin, but I think they were called Coarse fish due to the nature of their scales & the fact that they were often very rough in texture during the spawning season. This was a major difference from the game species.

Bear in mind some coarse fish are rated higher than game fish in some quarters.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.