Farmed Cod at Tescos

See the item broadcast on Grampian TV at

http://northtonight.grampiantv.co.uk/conte...1_1&newsid=6139

The companies main messages are :

Unlike wild cod caught at sea their cod is packaged within 48 hours of harvesting and ready for immediate consumption. Customers benefit from guaranteed size without waste, quality and taste and a truly sustainable product

Their product speaks to a growing demand for real, high-quality food for consumers with a conscience.

That they are committed to creating viable, sustainable solutions for the seafood industry.

The company works in close association with environmental organisations including the Soil Association, Marine Conservation Society, Organic Food Federation and the RSPCA.

Hey if I pay for a rod licence will they restock the sea for me?!

Dan

:clap2: If the EU was to follow their own sciencists advice, the seas would restock themselves very quickly, although I'm sure some artificial restocking of endangered species would help. :clap2:

I think people don't like fish farming because of impact the environment of the species natural to the area, salmon, seatrout etc through disease/lice/chemicals? Also what do they feed the fish on, isn't it usually pellets made from sandeel, whitebait etc that impacted the food chain. Or have they cleaned this up now?

Also what do they feed the fish on, isn't it usually pellets made from sandeel, whitebait etc that impacted the food chain. Or have they cleaned this up now?

It tells you in the article:

The most difficult question of all, from the point of view of sustainability, is that of feed. Mr Rzepkowski admits that even the organic movement has only a partial answer - though it is head and shoulders ahead of the pack.

Both the sand eel and the blue whiting, which are mashed up to make fish meal for conventional farms, are already overfished.

So organic standards allow Johnson to use only fish meal made from the offcuts produced from processing other fish.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

If the EU was to follow their own sciencists advice, the seas would restock themselves very quickly,

What, like the Grand Banks did ?

:clap2: Hi Wurzel, I believe the grand banks were fished to almost extinction and any recovery is hampered by the spawn and fry being eaten by the very fish that the cod used to eat. Our waters, although depleted have not, as yet, been fished to extinction, so they could recover if left alone for a few years. Look at the North Sea herring, that's proof enough. Why not give it a try, you've nothing to lose, apart from a few years income, and everything to gain, go on a long holiday and when you come back all will be rosy and if it isn't, well, you did your bit. :clap2: