Waitrose to only sell line caught cod

seaside

Their 5 customers will be happy then! ;) ;) too expensive for me!

I've no doubt that until they get the necessary economy of scale that there will be a premium to pay, it's the same in any industry, but Johnson Seafarms will be supplying about 1,500 tons of farmed organic cod (approx 5% of the present legal catch of wild cod in the North Sea) to Tesco and other retailers from next month.

See Leons topic Farmed Cod at Tescos or the article at

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...4/14/ncod14.xml

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I eat two or three bass per season, freshly caught weighing around the 2lb to 2.5lb mark.

As such they are equal to any other fish in the sea for taste, any fish I catch and eat is eaten the same day, I find freezing fish or even placing in the fridge for a couple of days totally destroys the taste.

AN and supermarkets have generally under rated the public interest in where their food has come from, cost is a prime factor for buying lesser quality food. I noted in Tesco yesterday that their free range and organic egg displays were bigger than other types, I am sure Tesco would not devote the floor space to goods that don't sell.

I think line caught fish is a step in the right direction and I agree that a program exposing other methods for what they are would cause a large back lash against pair trawling etc.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

What has always bothered me is that as I know what fresh fish look like I know that most fish in super markets is crap! so I know what fresh fish looks like but I know nothing about other products, so how good is their meat ect?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

What has always bothered me is that as I know what fresh fish look like I know that most fish in super markets is crap! so I know what fresh fish looks like but I know nothing about other products, so how good is their meat ect?

Sam - this is wandering a bit off topic but I think we all know that there is nothing better than good, fresh, local produce but supermarkets are there to fulfill a customer demand for easy and convienient access to a broad range of products.

They and their suppliers have to have tremendous traceability for all their products, operate within ISO criteria and must meet all relevant standards throughout the production line. Their aim to provide their customer with product that is consistent in size, shape and quality.

The end product may not be for the purist in any particular food sector, but it is good quality and does appeal to the Customers, and it is they who spend the money !!

To bring this a little back on topic - supermarkets must also provide the products the marketplace demands, and the move now, for people who wish to enjoy their fish, is more in the organic / sustainable / feel-good direction.

Given the efforts of the skippers in Shetland, Whitby etc., one can only say that traceability would be a major stumbling block and though Guernsey tomatoes may have a terrific rep and can you imagine bass being sucessfully sold as being 'caught off the spawning centres around that island. ?

No I wouldnt agree with this if they went in that direction, but yes I can imagine it in reality.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sam,

You're probably right with the meat observation. Find a small producer and try a bit of beef, pork or lamb from them and compare it against supermarket stuff. The supermarket stuff is rubbish. My neighbours love it when I get a decent bit of lamb from my friend, a farmer.

I dare say it's the same with fish (I don't eat fish, so can't comment). Most everyday people will never know, as they will only have ever eaten supermarket food.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Can someone tell me if I made a post to this topic about buying locally rather than at the supermerket.

My post was in reply to Sam's about the quality of produce and I suggest to buy from the local high street rather than a supermerket if you wanted quality . Elton have you pinched my post and claimed it as your own ? :rolleyes::P

Perhaps I didnt press add reply ?

Edited by glennk

Tried bass once. Tasted crap. Give me a nice Plaice, cod or Mackerel anyday.

Crap!

No acounting for taste :)

Living in London people keep trying to tell me Jellied eels are deliciuos.

NOW THEY ARE CRAP!!!!! :)

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Crap!

No acounting for taste :)

Living in London people keep trying to tell me Jellied eels are deliciuos.

NOW THEY ARE CRAP!!!!! :)

:clap2: I tried jellied eels in london, they were awful, I didn't eat them again for years until a neighbour asked me if I ever caught any eels. I said yes but I put them back. The upshot is that I brought her 6 eels and she made some jellied eels and gave me some, delicious. It's because she used only the eels and water to make her jellied eels. The commercial version uses a lot more water and geletine to set the jelly, ugh, horrible. The contents were similar but the cooking and recipie were totally different, so the end result was also different. I totally agree about supermarket fish, I wouldn't use it for bait, let alone eat it. Supermarket meat seems OK but not as good as locally produced meat. I still eat wild food, rabbit, hare, duck, pheasant etc in season. Each tastes different, depending what it's been feeding on. Never eat a foreshore shot duck, it tastes like mud. :clap2: