Waitrose to only sell line caught cod

seaside

Guest muttley
Waitrose have announced they will only sell line caught cod from now on.

In 1999 they initially said they would no longer sell North Sea cod and haddock due to concerns over declining stocks and overfishing and then switched to sourcing fish from Iceland. They hailed their move yesterday as another step forward in efforts to safeguard dwindling North Sea supplies.

The commercial sea fishing organisations have immediately retorted by saying that conservation is not the supermarkets real objective it's just a marketing effort to meet customer demand. Personally I think that if conservation is enhanced by meeting customer demand, then that's no bad thing.

They can say what they like. I dont believe it for a second. How can they prove the fish are only caught by rod and line. They'll tell us what they want us to hear and then do just what they want.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that the food fashion gurus (TV chefs) now tend to use cuts from bigger bass, rather than whole small fish, so maybe the message is finally getting through.

On the subject of supermarket meat, what really annoys me is the way they inject even raw meat with water. It was bad enough injecting ham and bacon with brine and calling it "wet curing" (try telling a Spaniard that the rubbish we get is ham!) but injecting beef, pork and even chicken is just downright criminal. It has nothing to do with improving the product and everything to do with selling us water.

It's not just meat either. Buy a bag of frozen prawns from the supermarket and let them thaw out without opening the bag. You'll end up with more water than prawns.

If line caught means - long lined - do we really understand what happens to the fish they dont want. I have it on good authority that when long lining for spurs all lsds thornies wrasse etc are litterally ripped off the hooks and discarded to die. As are all immature fish.

Might be wrong here so I would appreciate some guidance.

Peter :huh:

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.