Don't ingore it !

BobH

I'm not sure where I should write this, but as I'm an Angler talking to Anglers, I thought I would put it here !!

In 2010 I use to go fishing at least 3 times a week and usually on Mondays I would go fishing with my friends Clive and Gary.

Winter trips were normally reserved for Pike and Perch, this particular Monday in February 2010 was a Pike Trip to Tumbling Bay in Hertfordshire, we parked in a side street at the crack of dawn, loaded up our barrows with the gear needed for a days Pike fishing and headed towards the pit.

But something was not right, as I picked up the handles of my barrow I felt a heaviness across my chest, that's a bit odd I thought, but I had no other signs and carried on pushing.

I soon put the barrow down again as the pain returned, but it again disappeared as soon as it had appeared.

No more pains and I carried on walking down the towpath to my desired swim, joking with the lads that I had just had had a heart attack and not to bury me here as I had never done much good at Tumbling Bay ?

The only other sign I had that day was a strange pains in my toes, odd but not that strange as I sufferer from arthritis for many years.

The day was unremarkable, I caught a few small Pike on dead baits, I loaded up my barrow at the end of the day and had no sign of the pains again, putting it down to indigestion from an early cup of tea and piece of toast.

Tuesday came around and I was up early, it was my day for doing the house, washing floors, brushing down the stairs, dusting the whole house and hovering.

No signs of chest pain at all !!

Wednesday and I had a few odd jobs to do in the morning, but I thought I might go for a few hours fishing in the afternoon, the Mr.s had been out in the morning and on her return I asked if she minded me going fishing ?

Of course not she said, loading the car; I headed towards Fishers Green for a spot of Barbel fishing, strangely I took the barrow, just in case I did not fancy carrying the tackle, but something was not right, every time I picked up the handles of the barrow the pain I had experienced on the Monday returned, but worst each time.

I made the one hundred yards to the river and sat down exhausted, a cold sweat soaking me, I got the rods out and set up, but the pain was worse now and a bloke walking his dog stopped to pass the time of day, saying I looked really rough.

He offered to push the barrow back to the car, which I accepted gratefully, getting back to the car and sitting down, I felt okay again and headed home.

I knew I was not right and spoke to the GP who faxed ahead to the local hospital, it did not take us long to get to the hospital and I was fast tracked into A&E, where I was diagnosed with a heart attack.

On Friday I had an angiogram and was told I needed a Bypass operation, due to the blockages being near to the main artery of the heart , the following week I was transferred to Bart's and had a triple bypass operation the following day, amazingly I was out after 4 days.

The doctors told me the pains in my feet were signs of heart problems, but I had had no other signs, I know I should have gone after the first pain on that Monday, I was in denial, it could not happen to me, but it did !!

So if I could make a plea to others who have odd pains, pains in the toes or fingers, pains across the chest or down your arms, don't do as I did and ignore them, get yourself to hospital and get them checked out.

4 years and six months later, I take a couple of pills a day and get myself checked out by the GP regularly.

I have seen 3 of my Granddaughters go to University since the operation, which I have been told by the surgeons I was lucky to see.

Don't ignore the signs.

Bob

• Like 1

Spot on Bob

Heart attack may manifest itself in many ways and is not always obvious.

Any central chest pain is suspicious and any pain radiating up into the neck and down the arms is very suspicious. It is a heart attack until someone else proves it isn't

Heart attack responds well to early treatment, so if in doubt, or there is any suspicion, call an ambulance. Sooner rather than later. Like Bob, many people go through a stage of denial "it can't be happening to me, I'm too young or too fit"

A word about calling the ambulance. Let the controller know that you suspect a heart attack, it helps them to prioritise.

If you are alone in the house, make sure the doors are unlocked and the crew can get in. Shut pets, particularly dogs, into another room, out of the way.

Sit or lay down in a comfortable position and think nice thoughts, anxiety makes your heart work harder.

Take the phone with you in case ambulance control needs to contact you.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Dang boy - glad you finally got it checked out. You are one of the good guys and we don't need to lose any if its avoidable.

Hopefully after the bypass surgery you feel better than you have for some years.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

I certainly did feel better after the operation and I have had no real heart problem since.

Having never had a heart problem it came as shock and I was told that it was properly down to smoking which I had given up 25 years previously ?

On a serious note, if any of you have the slightest problem or strange pains, get it check it out, you only have one life and this is not a rehearsal.

Bob

I have been running on nitroglycerine for the last 11 years ! Angina diagnosed in 2003, but I have just carried on with a puff or two of nitro when the pain appears.

I remember in Assam, we were trekking through a tiger reserve, and realised we would not get out before nightfall unless we upped the pace. Lots of ravines to clamber down and back up - which punished the old ticker a bit. So a total of seventeen nitro doses were taken that afternoon - seemed preferable to providing supper for a tiger !

I either fish, or go for a walk on Ashdown Forest most days (I try not to miss more than one day a week) take all the preventative medicine (except statins) that medical science suggests, and try to maintain a gung-ho attitude as to what the future holds. I don't fear death, but do fear losing mobility, reason or eyesight. Hopefully, when my time is up, It will be a quick end.

I can only wish the same for my fellow anglers - but not yet awhile !!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Good post there Bob, and a good warning for all of us :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Strange you should post this Bob. I packed in smoking 3 months ago, and have felt crap ever since. Chest pains, wheezing, breathlessness, tiredness, general aches and pains, profuse sweating, as well as the usual tetchiness and slight bad temper. The only way I feel better is sleeping, I had sleep apnea, and it drove my wife crazy, but she says my breathing is now much better while I'm a sleep. I've seen my GP, and I'm booked in for chest x-ray, blood tests, and a spirometry test. My heart, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, all seem ok, but it's got me thinking that I should never have given up in the first place. I can't see me ever starting again, but I makes you think.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I have been running on nitroglycerine for the last 11 years ! Angina diagnosed in 2003, but I have just carried on with a puff or two of nitro when the pain appears.

I remember in Assam, we were trekking through a tiger reserve, and realised we would not get out before nightfall unless we upped the pace. Lots of ravines to clamber down and back up - which punished the old ticker a bit. So a total of seventeen nitro doses were taken that afternoon - seemed preferable to providing supper for a tiger !

I either fish, or go for a walk on Ashdown Forest most days (I try not to miss more than one day a week) take all the preventative medicine (except statins) that medical science suggests, and try to maintain a gung-ho attitude as to what the future holds. I don't fear death, but do fear losing mobility, reason or eyesight. Hopefully, when my time is up, It will be a quick end.

I can only wish the same for my fellow anglers - but not yet awhile !!

the old lady next door took a tumble today ,unfortunately we only noticed when the ambulance parked on our drive as hers has a tree over it(she has an alarm she hangs from her neck that connects to a monitoring company they call for help)

she is 94 very independant but said to me her life has gone on to long ,the 92 year old the other side of me tottered around on his zimmer (still drives but his walking days are limited) thinking it (the ambulance) was for me .

most if her has been replaced over the years but although she is ex india stock the frailty is there and far worse over the last year ,mentally she (and him) are definately still fine but its a shame the body fails them

if you can keep active do it and do as much as you can to keep it

i being strapped to some machine tomorrow whilst on a treadmill ,theres something not right with me (besides my head) i had hoped the cpac machine would fix everything but its not the full answer to whatever is going on ,being fat certainly doesnt not help but thats a far harder nut to crack

dont leave things to chance ,my mrs can now get to her doctor and dentist by herself if needed (changed both to alton which a taxi can get her to if needed) ,write in pencil the names of those almost forgotten rellies on those boxes of photos and leave all your bank details and passwords in the safe for your nearest and dearest ,whilst i hope tomorrow is no-ones last day on earth it will be someones !

i gave up fags 5? years ago and still waiting for the benefits to arrive!

theres good doctors and bad after my prostrate scare several years ago i have never had any further tests besides that useless PSA one ,i bought my own urine test strips and monitor that myself (the doc appears not to have an interest) and strangely for a fat git i am on no drugs for anything ,statins are given out like sweets it seems today but not for me ,the mrs gets a carrier bag full, i feel neglected !

i bought an app for sympton checking but its pants ,the slightest sympton and it says its "dairy" and doesnt spot what i know causes some ,you would think eating "x" and the next day your on the bog for the morning would get spotted but it always suggests dairy ,tech is sometimes pointless

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters

I'm not quite sure what you are saying ?

We can all live the way we wish, it's your choice, so good luck.

My money is on getting the treatment I need as quickly as possible, sure the NHS is not what it once was, but I can't complain, I've had my money's worth !!

Bob