Scupper Pro First Impressions

SpeciMan

Took my Scupper Pro for its first paddle today. Launched from the cut bridge behind Milford Shingle Bank near the Solent. When arrived I noticed a group of sea kayakers on the water heading out towards Hurst Castle. My kayak was still on the car and they had a 400 yard headstart.....

Haven't yet fitted side handles but managed to unload the kayak ok. My plan had been to take one rod, one ram tube a few lures and feathers along to see how good a fishing platform the Scupper was. Unfortunately I'd left the tackle/sandwich/bits bag behind :schmoll: but as my pfd had my safety gear & I didn't leave that I headed off. Getting in the Scupper was easy enough it didn't feel tippy to me.

I headed out up towards the entrance near Hurst Castle and into the Solent. The Scupper was fast and had a nice glide to it. I spotted the group of sea kayakers in the distance who were heading straight over to the Isle of Wight near Fort Victoria (I think). Given the very light winds and little boat traffic (for a Sunday) my plan was to take the outgoing tide down to the Needles. Turns out the group of kayakers had a similar plan but they hugged the coastline (there were 'newbies' in the group) and they had a few stops on the way down. I took a more direct route following the edge of a shipping channel and then down, looking out for getout points and flat areas for camping along the coastline for future trips. A few hundred yard before the needles I spotted a buoy on land in the rocks so beached the yak had a rest and put the buoy in the tankwell. When I got to the needles there was a boat close near the middle of them with crew on board spinning for the bass. Didn't see anything caught and headed on round past the lighthouse and then east.

Came across another sea kayaker who asked me if I'd seen a group of sea kayakers around. Turns out he had headed off early and was waiting for the group to catch up..a SINK paddler asking the SOT paddler where the rest of SINK paddlers were (well I never):yeah:

Gave my buoy to a potter near the needles and then headed back through the middle gap in the needles. On my return I headed in an even more direct route across the shipping channel - past the green warden buoy,past the NE Shingle bank buoy then up to the castle and back into Keyhaven entrance. If I do that trip again and the surf is low I'll probably launch from Milford Shingle Bank and head straight over as recommended by the sea kayaker I spoke to.

Was in the seat for a good few hours and towards the end my back hurt. My @rse was comfortable enough - I don't need to put padding down but I'll have to come up with a backrest of some decription.

I practiced a few reentrys before I came in. It requires more balance to get back on compared to the Caper and I recommend anyone who buys a Scupper to practice them (as with any kayak)... the kayak wanted to flip over when I did a side entry.

All in all a very good kayak. I'm looking forward to having my first fish from it (175lb skate :2: ) :)

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

WoW out to the Needles nice one

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

NIce maiden Speciman. Good advice about the re-entry. Once you have fitted handles you may find the re-entry a bit easier. :thumbs:

I have a seat from Bournemouth canoes that does the Job. Its £40 ask Simon hell know which one it is.

How dry was the centre hatch ? That has been the only disapointment to me. In calm conditions no-probs but in a chop when some water comes in some has found its way in there.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

I have a seat I can use very similar to yours (could be the same one!) but I don't want to use one with a bottom. However I willl take it out next time and see how I get on with it.

Tide and conditions were perfect for the trip I made today so no chop and only a cup of water in the hull after doing the reentries I think (but I better check and make sure the hatch is ok).

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

WOW! :clap::clap: Nice one SpeciMan

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Nice sorty Simon, glad you finally got back in the water and nice report, Needles, how long did it take to get out there, some great bass marks out that way. Fancy not taking a rod with you.

Been down to Beaulieu today, some bargains on tackle, new Fladen Maxximus reels £40 new Solid carbon rods £40 sadly only spinning rods, bought the kids a fladen ice pike each £5, they are about 4' long pink one for Isobel, lime green for Aaron, be perfect of the Malibu XL, also managed to get a Berkley triple rod tube for £10, few hooks and lures and end tackle at knock down prices. Great day out, could have spent a fortune, there were a few OK's as well, Malibu Two, Yak Board, Drifter Angler all with about all going for around £250. Kicking myself for not buying the reel :(

Good luck with those Skate, not long now!

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thanks

Starvin - shame they only had spinning rods. Luckily I can get the tips of my Solid C's over the bow :clap: and whilst seated can just put them into the hull via the center hatch :o

Not sure how long the trip took - about an 1 and a half hours I think.

Better put a warning up on this. Strong currents pass through this area and it can be like a river what with a large body of water passing through a narrowish gap. Time the tide right (take the conveyor belt) and it will help take you down there making for a fairly easy paddle B) Going against the current, even on neaps would not be pleasant (for that kind of distance) - add a bit of oncoming wind and you may have a problem. During the summer there can be a lot of boat traffic too (mainly smaller craft) including occassional ships. This trip is not for short wide kayaks like the Caper. Next weekend would not be a good time to go down there what with the springs and probably more bank holiday boat traffic.

The conditions were right today for such a trip but more often than not they aren't. For me today was more of a one off to test the kayak out... I will have a try for the bass down there at some point though and perhaps have a camping trip at Freshwater Bay(Zzzzippy!)

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Nice report Speciman, good point on the re- entry. It's something we forget but should all practice on a fine day so that it becomes second nature in an emergency situation. :boat:

Neil.