MACKEREL HAMMERED BY OVERFISHING

big_cod

Guest binatone
You/ve got me with that one ,i think i better contact cefarce .

If i am not correct mackerel spawn down this part of the coast ,the mackerel we catch in july ,august are always full of spawn, but the biggest shoal of mackerel i ever saw was down on the west sole off humberside, i was called down from the forties field to do a job on the west sole in 85.

The sight i saw was quite amaizing as far as the eye could see it was just one massive shoal of mackerel probably many thousands of tons of fish the sea was just black the shoal was so dense but the amaizing thing these fish were not swimming anywhere when you looked down at them from the rig they were just swimming in the tide,i has always thought mackerel were always on the move feeding at every opportunity but thses fish were literally dormant now whether they were spawning i not sure but i had a feeling they were.

Mackerel swim at all depths depending where the food is sprats etc, so the next time when we are catching mackerel just under the boat i will tell the lads we are catching palegic mackerel.

And now thanks to Ian you will be able to tell them where they have come from.

Mackerel feed in mass on the bottom in deep water (north Atlantic) when they leave these feeding grounds they disperse and become pelagic. Manly feeding mid water.

As you can see from the article that Ian found for you they are not as predictive as you would think they are, therefore you watch this space and see if they don’t turn up in force for the pelagic fleet to catch in the near future.

OI OI,

i blame them pike fishing blokes lol

:headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite