Scottish RSA irrelevant - official line

Just deviating slightly.

In June a large amount of Anglers from across the UK will decend on Scotland for the annual Fife Open. A lot of lads from the north east (me included baby sitter permitting) will be going up for the weekend. This will entail 2 nights B&B and quite a bit of cash going into the local community out of our pockets. I understand Scotland is also home to the UK's largest junior fishing competition again with entratnt from across the UK. People fromfar and wide visit Scotland for fishing holidays. To say RSA is irrelevent is quite absurd

Perhaps you might consider sending a mail Andrew.Arbuckle.msp@scottish.parliament.uk.

He's the Scottish Liberal Democrat Regional List MSP for Mid Scotland & Fife - Mr Finnie is also a Scottish Liberal Democrat.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be wrong, but wasn't the original term sassanach applied to the lowland Scots, I remember it was a derogatory term used by the highlanders against the lowlanders during the times of William Wallace. I guess as integration in those parts proceeded apace, it became a term to describe anyone other than the highlanders and ultimately the English, as Scottish nationality surged to the fore again.

I dont know about the word sassanach as a whole doc, but my bruv in law from glasgow calls me it a lot of the time, i took it as meaning a southerner?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hello Doc

That’s all fair enough Nigel,

I know very little of the civilities of the Scottish inshore fishermen, other than lobster and prawn creels, that don't effect anglers, what is it that Scottish fishermen get up to that worries every body so much, from what I gather most of the large fleet like at Peter Head work well of shore and the main target is Haddock, again not much effect on anglers , most little harbours I see pictures of have a few little creel boats , perhaps a couple of prawn trawlers nothing for anglers to get het up about , I should imagine Mr Finnie has enough on his plate trying to fend off the EU commission with out you lot sticking your oar in adding to the grief.

From what I gather the angling is very good around Scotland any way, so is it not up to anglers and the tourist board to promote it.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Doc

I know very little of the civilities of the Scottish inshore fishermen, other than lobster and prawn creels, that don't effect anglers, what is it that Scottish fishermen get up to that worries every body so much, from what I gather most of the large fleet like at Peter Head work well of shore and the main target is Haddock, again not much effect on anglers , most little harbours I see pictures of have a few little creel boats , perhaps a couple of prawn trawlers nothing for anglers to get het up about , I should imagine Mr Finnie has enough on his plate trying to fend off the EU commission with out you lot sticking your oar in adding to the grief.

From what I gather the angling is very good around Scotland any way, so is it not up to anglers and the tourist board to promote it.

Just had a pair team from peterhead down here recently they had 670 boxes of whiting working aback of the 12 mile dont know the numbers of green but i heard they also had a lot of pollock as well no harm done though.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello Doc

Hi Wurzel

I am not going to give any reasons for it because I would be guessing but the General fishing has died in Luce Bay and the Irish Sea is very quickly going down the same route.

10 years ago private boats could drift round with baited feathers and pick cod and Hadock up all day and would expect to catch three species of Gurnards, Whiting etc. , Worm baits wouls produce flatties and fish baits would produce Rays and Spurdog.

All three boats had a session offshore at the weekend and collectively we caught one codling about 10 inches long.

So one can hardly pretend that all is rosy in Scotland. How much is down to commercial fishing, global warming or zooplancton, we will never know but the situation is dire. 7 species have totally dissapeared during this time.

If we hadn't insisted all inshore Pollack have to go back all those years ago then our season would have been reduced to when the tope are about.

Scotland has some apecial areas like the Firth of Lorne/Sound of Mull for the skate, certain lochs for the Spurs, Luce Bay for the tope that need protecting so that commercials can not come in and wipe out the future and you don't need to be a mathamatical genius to realise these fish are worth far more to Scotland PLC left in the sea than on a fishmongers slab.

The fish belong to the people of Scotland not just the commercials, The Scottish exec have to made to understand this

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Guest binatone
Just had a pair team from peterhead down here recently they had 670 boxes of whiting working aback of the 12 mile dont know the numbers of green but i heard they also had a lot of pollock as well no harm done though.

So I take it that no English commercial boats ever work north of Berwick then? Or English angling boats come to that?

Guest binatone
This is all getting a little predictable and quite tiresome :g::thumbdown:

So why don’t you resign then again winter? But for god’s sake don’t take so long about it this time. I could not stand the soap opera departure that you gave us all last time you said you where departing for a quite less predictable life.

Big cod made a comment that I have tried to answer in a manner to which he is more than accustomed now. The same as I am accustomed to his way of commenting on my comments. If this is tiresome and predictable for you then so be it. I did not ask you to read it or comment on it or your return to this forum come to that.

Edited by binatone