Scottish RSA irrelevant - official line

When the authorities were originally approached with the concerns of the organisations about the lack of representation, they were met with stonewalling.

Sea Anglers?

Does anyone go sea angling, apart from a couple of people on holiday drowning worms on the pier? They can't be important. Shouldn't waste the time of people with more important things to do, talking to them.

As well as the very good arguments and solid information that was presented, it was the 'storm' of protest from ordinary anglers, through their political representatives, that rattled the doors enough for them to be opened.

As demonstrated many times before, moaning about things amongst ourselves gets us nowhere.

It's not until individual anglers take those moans and direct them at people who are able to influence the decision makers that things begin to change.

The immediate response may seem to be dismissive, almost designed to be dispiriting, but it's the constant hammering on that door by lots of fists, however small, that makes a noise loud enough that it simply cannot be ignored any longer.

As has been mentioned, it's only a start, and a long road has to be trod before any meaningful change comes about.

But as any gardener will tell you, the hardest part is preparing the hard unfertile ground before seeds have any chance of growing.

And individuals writing letters, getting politicians and officials to think and talk about the needs of Recreational Sea Anglers is what prepares the ground, so that when specific proposals are put forward, they aren't simply put aside and forgotten, but allowed to grow (but still needing constant attention).

The same is true everwhere, not just in Scotland.

A few minutes of an angler's time, spent writing to politicians, officials, the press etc won't bring about overnight change, but it is certainly not time wasted. It's another of those fists, rattling that door which must be opened when the noise becomes too loud.

Well done everyone who took the time to help make a difference :)

Keep it up!!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a reply from Dennis Canavan.....his question re RSA was passed onto Patricia Ferguson,Minister for Tourism,Culture,and Sport. She replied to Dennis on the 16th.....I wont do the whole thing, but here are some quotes.

"Visit Scotland and Scottish Ministers recognise the importance of RSA and we are continuing to work to promote and develop RSA in Scotland."

"I am content that VisitScotlands work in maximising the potential of RSA in Scotland's tourism economy. As such there are no plans for further section development at this time."

"You will be pleased to hear that John Brown,Head of Tourism Div. has agreed to meet some of the key reps of RSA to allow further discussion and clarification on the issues you raise."

"As Ross Finnie pointed out in his letter of 24th April the strategic Framework for Inshore Fisheries is concerned primarily with Commercial and not RSA. This is why RSA's will not be included on the Exec Comm for Inshore Fisheries Groups."

"I am also pleased to tell you that SportScotland gave the SFSA £12,500 in April this year...."

As Dennis said in his covering letter, not a very good reply...but seemingly he is going to ask questions in parliament....AGAIN...

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Just had a reply from Dennis Canavan.....his question re RSA was passed onto Patricia Ferguson,Minister for Tourism,Culture,and Sport. She replied to Dennis on the 16th.....I wont do the whole thing, but here are some quotes.

"Visit Scotland and Scottish Ministers recognise the importance of RSA and we are continuing to work to promote and develop RSA in Scotland."

"I am content that VisitScotlands work in maximising the potential of RSA in Scotland's tourism economy. As such there are no plans for further section development at this time."

"You will be pleased to hear that John Brown,Head of Tourism Div. has agreed to meet some of the key reps of RSA to allow further discussion and clarification on the issues you raise."

"As Ross Finnie pointed out in his letter of 24th April the strategic Framework for Inshore Fisheries is concerned primarily with Commercial and not RSA. This is why RSA's will not be included on the Exec Comm for Inshore Fisheries Groups."

"I am also pleased to tell you that SportScotland gave the SFSA £12,500 in April this year...."

As Dennis said in his covering letter, not a very good reply...but seemingly he is going to ask questions in parliament....AGAIN...

Nice One Norrie

It all helps in keeping on the pressure, particuarly questions asked in parliament, as all attending MSP's will have RSA beought to there attention

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

It would be interesting to know what they consider they are doing that is promoting and developing RSA.

WOW !! that's nearly half the expenses of £27348.13 claimed by Ross Finnie in 05.

Edited by seaside

It would be interesting to know what they consider they are doing that is promoting and developing RSA.

Hi Seaside..Actually she states in the letter....

"Visit Scotland has a section dedicated to Sea angling on its website along with TWO pages about the sport in its Fishing in Scotland brochure. VisitScotland also sits on and part funds the Angling Development Tourism Group which has been instrumental in the development of the FishScotland webpage. In addition,the development team at VisitScotland contributes to the funding of the Country Sports Tourism Group which is looking at a number of projects to develop angling in Scotland further"

She must have had a premonition that you would ask that mate.... :D:blink::D

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/