Canoe access poll on BBC

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

61% voting Yes :(

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Guest Brumagem Phil
61% voting Yes :(

Oh gawd, we'll never hear the last of this from peter now!!!! :(:blink:

I cant find the vote thing,

anyway, i think that polls like that are unfair, or not unfAIR, but biased, as the canoeonig community that dont like anglers, will be the first to find out about, as will the animal rights activists, who willl take every opportunity to pounce on anglers. these people will make it look like they make up a bigger part of the population than they really do, and will make the result of such a poll uneven.

also, those that have had no bad experiences with any anglers or canoists will not go to the effort to do the poll, whereas those that have will.

i find those quite depressing actually, i shouldnt take any notice of them, but its sad to think that my way of life, and what i do to make me happy, ie angling, is under attack, and people want to change my way of life, so it fits in with their little world.

I cant find the vote thing,

anyway, i think that polls like that are unfair, or not unfAIR, but biased, as the canoeonig community that dont like anglers, will be the first to find out about, as will the animal rights activists, who willl take every opportunity to pounce on anglers. these people will make it look like they make up a bigger part of the population than they really do, and will make the result of such a poll uneven.

also, those that have had no bad experiences with any anglers or canoists will not go to the effort to do the poll, whereas those that have will.

i find those quite depressing actually, i shouldnt take any notice of them, but its sad to think that my way of life, and what i do to make me happy, ie angling, is under attack, and people want to change my way of life, so it fits in with their little world.

I mentioned canoeists gatecrashing a flyfishing website in another thread just now.

To see just what these ladies and gentlemen of the paddle are capable of I STRONGLY suggest that you ALL look at these:

http://flyforums.proboards53.com/index.cgi...read=1146643201

http://flyforums.proboards53.com/index.cgi...read=1146749410

http://flyforums.proboards53.com/index.cgi...read=1146830833

There was also a fourth thread entitled "Paul Boote Cooks Socks" by a newly joined forum member named "katemclaren". "Paul Boote Cooks Socks - Discuss", he / she said cryptically. And do you know what it was about? I'll tell you. A few years ago, a gentleman (certainly NOT myself!) also named "Paul Boote", ran a notorious E-zine about the excesses of the Manchester gay club scene. Clearly someone - possibly a disgruntled paddler, looking to nuke a man who knows a lot about paddlers and what the worst of them are about - had done a web-trawl for Yours Truly and found what he thought was a discrediting "Killer fact". Well, he hadn't, as those who know me were quick to remark!

The thread was deleted a day later by the Fly Fishing Forums owner / moderator.

Watch the canoeists, ladies and gentleman. If anyone can destroy (or certainly ruin) our pastime, now (forget any Government or Headless Chicken Antis), these people could.

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Watch the canoeists, ladies and gentleman. If anyone can destroy (or certainly ruin) our pastime, now (forget any Government or Headless Chicken Antis), these people could.

Yes, I agree, I think it would be wise to not make too much of an enemy of them, i personally think its stupid of the canoists to expect a unlimited access to the rivers, and to have it for free. I think they should have a some access to the rivers if they pay their way, and also agree to having to share the rivers.

Its that big thing, CHANGE that people are scared of.

also, the arguement seems to be one of canoists v anglers, but i dont see why, anglers dont have a free right to roam on all rivers, like canoists want. so its not like we have something they thing they should be entitled to. Their fight should be against land owners, if they wnt access, they should either pay the price the land owner wants, or work out a way, in which they can change the law books to allow them access.

its like ive heard said before, if canoists were to team up with the antis, they could cause abit of trouble, but i dont thing that would be a wise move on the canoists side. if they do things via negotations, them it could save them money, but also, i wouldnt mind betting, that if angling, shooting and horse racing got banned, then the antis would move onto something like canoists, saying that they cause distress to wildfowl etc.

I think if anglers appear to come accross as selfish, and unwilling, we will put ourselves in position for an attack, we cant afford to make more enemies.

Hiya all :)

Just thought I would add my view as I am a fisherman and a Kayaker,I mainly do sea fishing from my Kayak,But last week a friend and I decided to have a go on the river stour in Christchurch.We knew it was close season so we wouldnt be bothering any anglers.We spent a few hours practicing Seal launches from the bank and just messing about in the weirs :bigemo_harabe_net-183:

In my honest opinion I dont think too many Kayakers or Canoes would go to those sort of Rivers.I think you will get the touring Canoes sticking to the Big rivers like the Thames or the Severn.

The smaller Canoes and Kayaks will be looking for White water to have fun in.The sort of places where Fishermen do not go.

I just think it is all getting blown out of proportion as the media always tend to do.

Anyway.Thats my 2 pence worth.

So Tight lines to you all.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

What I find is that canoeists find it hard to understand why selfish anglers object to them sharing the river.

After all, they pass by quickly, and the surface water soon shows no sign of their passing.

What's the problem?

For me it's very much like attending a classical music concert, or maybe a play.

Lost in the music as it builds, falls back into a quiet phase of expectation, suddenly a door is throw open and a crowd of noisy people oblivious to the moment barge across in front of the stage, talking loudly before exiting through another door.

Yes, the disturbance was but a few moments, the auditorium is as quiet as before, but now the whole performance has been ruined.

And so a quiet few hours fishing, slowly building a swim, getting into the rythm of feeding and casting, has been spoiled and one must start all over again.

And when boats constantly pass by, it is noticeable that the fish are less willing to feed until some time after the traffic stops.

Anglers and canoists sharing a river is very much like having concert-goers and boxing sharing the same auditorium at the same time!

It really dosen't work!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Well put, Leon.

Some activities are not compatible with each other and cannot use the same facilities at the same time. Birdwatching while others are jetskiing, downhill mountain biking where others are rambling, swimming lengths where others are playing water polo. It's one thing for the paddlers to demand more access, quite another to demand a right to access which always overrides anybody else's rights. It would not be considered fair to deal with the loss of public cricket pitches by granting the right to set up the stumps on any golf course green in the country.