Florida Fish ID

Newt

I caught this beauty in a mangrove swamp area on the Atlantic side of central Florida. No clue what it is but hoping someone an help.

unk-fish.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm not sure Newt it looks like it might be some kind of Tetraodontidae (puffer fish). I would not have touched it without gloves on. It looks like it may be poisionous to me, but I'm not at all sure. Vagabond??

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Not any sort of puffer. I did catch one of those a bit earlier and my goodness, it really did puff up.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Porcupine Horned Puffer (Chilomycterus schoepfi) - and according to here http://www.seascapestudio.net/reference/fish.php?id=520 ...it's not a great one to pick up :yucky:

That's him

Also known as Striped Burr-fish.

They will inflate if the belly is rubbed (Wouldn't you ? :) )

Common on the USA east coast - preferred habitat is sea-grass, but found in mangals also.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Doing fine Phone. The hand holding that fish was not mine but Mike's (the skipper/guide) who has been fishing these waters for over 25 years.

I'm sure I asked and I'm sure he told me the name but my short term memory these days is REALLY short. :D

Thanks for the info guys.

So not a Tetraodontidae but still a Tetraodontiforme. I'd still not pick one up with my bare hands and I definitely would not like to tread on one with bare feet. Anything with bumps and stripes like that is just screaming "leave me alone".

I hope nobody ate it ;)

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Newt,

Newt - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- NEWT !?

You OK???

Phone

:bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

• Like 1

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Newt,

Newt - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- NEWT !?

You OK???

Phone

LOL

Although some puffers have quantities of tetradotoxin in their skin, they are frequently handled by anglers without ill effects, although after handling puffers I would always wash my hands carefully before handling food.

The main danger when handling or unhooking is the "beak" (fused front four teeth - hence the scientific name tetradont = four teeth) which is extremely powerful even in small fish. Paddlers have had toes nipped off by tetradonts !

As to eating puffers, even when prepared by expert chefs, eating puffer is akin to Russian roulette. Having said that, Norma and I ate Atlantic Puffer once. Here is an account from the draft of "International Angling Vagabonds"

The shore fishing south of Banjul was something I was eager to try. We made friends with Abdou, a local expert beach fisher who owned two beach rods. His tribe fished these two rods more or less day and night, as they depended on the fish to exist, especially if the weather was too rough for their canoes to go out.

The teamwork involved in fishing with two beachcasters was impressive. A team of seven men operated the two rods, with Abdou acting as leader and co-ordinator. A second man was responsible for baiting the hooks (two per rod) using some very smelly prawns he carried in a string bag. A third chap, about six feet six inches in height, was responsible for casting out. He did this by wading out until only his head and arms were visible, thus gaining about eighty yards before casting a further thirty. Each rod had someone to hold it, strike the fish, and wind it in. Man number six took responsibility for landing the fish in the surf and unhooking it. Finally, the fish caught were dealt with by a filleting wallah, and collected at intervals by the womenfolk of the village.

I fished with them, using a Moncrieff Longbow and Squidder reel, and did reasonably well, catching several Atlantic puffer fish, more croakers, a guitar ray, and some dentex sea-bream. I had said the village could have all my fish, as we were already very well fed at the hotel. Nevertheless, Abdou insisted on us sharing their communal meal, which their womenfolk had prepared. We'd noticed the filleting wallah had been very careful in trimming the puffers as soon as caught - and the villagers all looked healthy, so we thought the dangers of puffer poisoning slight.

We were a little disconcerted to find the communal meal was just that - all the villagers sat round one big pot! As Europeans, we were issued with the village's two spoons, but everyone else ate with their fingers. The meal consisted of a sort of paella – containing fish, rice, a few unidentified veggies, and lots of spice. It tasted OK, pretty good in fact. Norma was on my left, and on my right was the character whose job it was to bait up the hooks. This bait wallah had been using (very) rotten prawns all afternoon, and there he was, mining away barehanded at the paella - not even having wiped his hands on his trousers! I got to work with the spoon, leaving a wall of rice between his “catchment area” and my own. As soon as Mr Prawn Masher breached this wall, I put my spoon down and said the meal was delicious, and I had eaten enough! A meal to remember! Something we've noticed worldwide is that amongst fish-eating people, someone who can catch fish is treated with much more friendliness and respect than is the average tourist.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...