Florida Fish ID

Newt

I have this funny hypothesis Vagabond. If I don't know what same strange looking fish with bumps or spines on it is then if I only pick it up with a stout pair of gloves in then I am unlikely to come into harm. Same kind of hypothesis I have about being bitten by sharks. If you don't enter into the sharks environment you are unlikely to be bitten by one.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I have this funny hypothesis Vagabond. If I don't know what same strange looking fish with bumps or spines on it is then if I only pick it up with a stout pair of gloves in then I am unlikely to come into harm. Same kind of hypothesis I have about being bitten by sharks. If you don't enter into the sharks environment you are unlikely to be bitten by one.

Well, there are some people that stay at home all the time, and avoid all the nasty dangers of the outdoors.

By contrast, I have spent most of my 80 years as an outdoorsman, taking calculated and informed risks. I am still doing so. The statistics so far suggest that my calculations and information have been accurate enough for my continued survival. I prefer to live life, not spend it wrapped in cotton wool.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Somebody once said to me "Why on earth would you eat a poisonous snake?" After I had recounted a tale of having eaten a venomous snake in Zimbabwe.

He got very confused when I told him it wasn't poisonous!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Well, there are some people that stay at home all the time, and avoid all the nasty dangers of the outdoors.

I'm surprised at an ex-scientist making a strawman from my argument. That's not at all what I said it's a caricature of my post.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Somebody once said to me "Why on earth would you eat a poisonous snake?" After I had recounted a tale of having eaten a venomous snake in Zimbabwe.

He got very confused when I told him it wasn't poisonous!

Quite right. As far as I am aware only one or two species of sea snake are "poisonous".

there are a few more than one or two....in fact most of the true sea snake species (Hydrophiinae) are venomous I believe but they also rarely inject a significant amount venom upon bite which makes most known bites trivial.

I did a small study of them when I was learning scuba...but cant recall most of it now! LOL

Edited by kirisute

there are a few more than one or two....in fact most of the true sea snake species (Hydrophiinae) are venomous I believe but they also rarely inject a significant amount venom upon bite which makes most known bites trivial.

I did a small study of them when I was learning scuba...but cant recall most of it now! LOL

See what I mean :) .........venomous bite from the snake as opposed to poisonous effects from biting a snake!

• Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

heheh figured you would pick that up! LOL

most venomous snakes are poisonous....its preparation of the snake that removes that chance...just like puffer fish.

Edited by kirisute

I'd tend to disagree with that, the venom of a venomous snake is "poisonous" but then again, if you cook your snake (and I've never eaten the venom glands anyway) the vast majority of long chain proteins would be denatured during the cooking process and thus rendered harmless. The "meat" of the vast majority of snakes is fine. In fact I only know of one snake who's flesh is potentially poisonous, that of the yellow-bellied sea-snake.

Edited by Worms

I'd tend to disagree with that, the venom of a venomous snake is "poisonous" but then again, if you cook your snake (and I've never eaten the venom glands anyway) the vast majority of long chain proteins would be denatured during the cooking process and thus rendered harmless. The "meat" of the vast majority of snakes is fine. In fact I only know of one snake who's flesh is potentially poisonous, that of the yellow-bellied sea-snake.

Would ingesting snake venom be deleterious to human health? Wouldn't the venom be denatured once it was mixed with the hydrochloric acid in your stomach? I always thought that snake venom had to be injected to do any harm. Edited by corydoras
  • Like 1