Knots for flourocarbon

Anderoo

I'm now using a small swivel to connect a braid mainline to a flourocarbon leader. I want to leave the swivel permanently connected to the braid, and just tie on new leaders as and when I need to.

This creates a problem, as the only knot I really trust with flouro is the palomar. And I can't use that with the swivel already tied to the braid, as it would mean threading the whole rod and reel through the loop...!

The reason I want to leave the swivel permanently connected is that the braid is very thin and hard to work with. Cutting it off so I can use a palomar with the flouro and then tying it back onto the braid would be a massive frustration, especially in a rocking boat on a windy day.

The flouro is 13lb BS.

So what's the best non-palomar knot to use to tie flouro to a swivel? If the only really trustworthy one is the palomar then I'll have to get used to tying the swivel back onto the braid; but if there's another which is also fine, that would be a huge benefit...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I use the Palomar too and haven't needed anything else so can't help on that score.

Can you put the hooklength/leader on a link of some sort and clip it to the swivel?

I do this in wintertime when it's likely to be too cold to be changing hooks (unless absolutely necessary) it allows me to fish either maggot on a small hook or whatever else on a huge one just by clipping on a different hooklength.

Tie the braid in a loop at the end, maybe of 2 inches in size!

Then you can tie your fluro to the swivel with the palomar and then loop to loop the swivel to the braid (adding your rubber tube first).

Or you could do the same with the fluoro but I think the braid would be neater.

A figure of 8 knot should be just the job!

Edited by Kappa

I use fluorocarbon as a hook link when fishing for carp and cats, usually in 12,15 or 22lb.

I use a tucked blood knot when attaching the hook length to the swivel and have had no failures on some fairly large fish.

I wouldn't expect your zander to be a problem.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I'm confused, you use a quick link for attaching the lure to the leader? If so you can still use a Palomar to attach the leader to the swivel, you just have to pass the leader tail & quick link through the loop.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I'm confused now... I do use a little cross lok at the other end of the leader, but I can't see how I could tie a palomar to the swivel if the swivel is already tied to the braid? Am I missing something obvious...?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm confused now... I do use a little cross lok at the other end of the leader, but I can't see how I could tie a palomar to the swivel if the swivel is already tied to the braid? Am I missing something obvious...?

Not sure, I've just tried it and the knot does work but it doesn't seem right that it's a palomar. I'm certain that tying a swivel equipped leader to the braid will need the end tackle to be passed through the braid loop for a legit knot but if the swivel is already attached to the braid can the same knot be achieved by passing the fluoro through? Vagabond will know.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back