* * * * - 14 votes

Fishing can be so so cruel........

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Brumagem Phil_*

Guest_Brumagem Phil_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:04 AM

As some of you may have read, I've been pre baiting up a swim in a 50 acre lake which holds a few nice carp but gets fished rarely and even then only gets fished for bream.

I'd caught a couple of nice commons last year but reckoned on there being a few real clonkers lurking in the depths!

Anyway, after a week of baiting up this swim I decided to fling me rods in tonight to see what might leap on me hook. After about an hour, my right hand rod went screeming off, and clicking off the baitrunner didnt seem to slow the fish up much either. Unfortunately he dived straight into a huge weedbed. I played the fish in there for at least 20 minutes, snagging solid, then giving him line, then holding a constant pressure to ease him along............I was convinced the fish wasnt gonna come out, but in the end I eased him through and almost had a heart attack when I saw it! It was the biggest mirror carp I've ever clapped eyes on.....way over 20 lbs. Trouble was, I'd had to walk to the far end of the weedbed to ease the fish out the far end of the weeds and was 50 yds from my net. I had to ease him down the gap between the weeds and the shore.........but alas he slipped the hook :( :( :(

I had a consolation common of 9 lb which had never seen a hook before and scrapped WAY above his weight, but the night will be remembered for the one that got away.

Still, at least I have confirmed my theory that this lake indeed holds a few real clonkers............its only a matter of time before I have one, and the real pleasure is nobody else fishes it. :)

#2 bungral

bungral

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:54 AM

Aww unlucky man. That sucks!

I've never really been serious Carp fishing. Went to a lake in Wokingham once which was so heavily stocked we ended up catching 20+ 4lbs - 8lbs-ers but thats it.

#3 Newt

Newt

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,148 posts
  • Interests:fishing, duplicate bridge, fishing, RV (caravan) travel to where there is fishing

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:09 AM

What a night. Glad you got such spectacular results from your baiting campaign.

A suggestion for you since the lake has plenty of weed - spool up with one of the superlines like powerpro. They are much more efficient at dealing with weed than mono is.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

#4 GlennB

GlennB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:fishing

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:12 AM

Hard luck Phil, but I bet it's got you all steamed up about going back there ;) That's half the joy I reckon.

p.s. can you "chin" a carp? Probably a stupid question, but just wondering.
Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

#5 Guest_Brumagem Phil_*

Guest_Brumagem Phil_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

p.s. can you "chin" a carp? Probably a stupid question, but just wondering.

It was disorientated for a few seconds in little more than 18 inches of water and the urge to leap in and grab it was overwhelming I can tell you! LOL

Newt, I have berkeley power pro (65 lb) on a spool but am reluctant to put it on in case I get fully snagged up and then have to cut the line as its too heavy to pull and break. I've got some chest waders so from now on when I fish this peg I shall go suited and booted :)

#6 Anderoo

Anderoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,028 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

That's tough :( But, you know your bait and tactics work, and there'll be other chances. What would be even worse is going there and catching the biggest carp in the lake at your first attempt. At least the magic's still alive, even if this is a bitter pill to swallow.

Sounds like a very nice place by the way :)
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

#7 BoozleBear

BoozleBear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Writing, My Kids, Footy, Guinness

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:46 AM

Keep plugging at it Phil and you'll get the biggie! :)
www.myspace.com/boozlebear

#8 Newt

Newt

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,148 posts
  • Interests:fishing, duplicate bridge, fishing, RV (caravan) travel to where there is fishing

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

Newt, I have berkeley power pro (65 lb) on a spool but am reluctant to put it on in case I get fully snagged up and then have to cut the line as its too heavy to pull and break.

More likely that your hook would come free after bending or else the obstruction would come to you. Just make sure you have a piece of wood (6 inches of broom handle with the paint sanded off works) and put a few turns of line around it then use that to pull.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

#9 The Flying Tench

The Flying Tench

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts
  • Interests:general coarse fishing

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:25 PM

Bad luck BP - but i agree with whoever posted above and said it would spoil it really if you got the best fish on the first day!
john clarke

#10 merlino bill

merlino bill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Interests:fishing & fishing also reading anglers forum.

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:46 PM

OI OI,
bad luck phil i was at broken brae last week carp fishing hooked five (5) carp & never landed one changed my hook three times it was just one of those day's hook pull's at the net,
p.s. dont want another day like that lol

:fishing1: :fishing1: :cc_surrender:
BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite