Guest Brumagem Phil

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Brumagem Phil

hiya guys, thanks for the kind words........but a bit dismayed there are people out there sad enough to read my blog! :P:)

Went for another paddle yesterday and only spooked off a couple of fish but did see a few more having a cruise around the surface. I've not tried em ont he surface from close quarters (or stalking them) but to be fair they are certainly more occupied with other things so doubt it would be too successful. I have put out some mixers over the past couple of years but never seen any takes. As with most sizeable waters the ducks are fed bread in a couple of locations regularly by the locals so just maybe a chance at some floating crust when the ducks have gone to bed.

Decided not to fish now for a few days..........spawning should be over for this bunch by wednesday ish IMO so will probably start baiting up again tuesday night and then chucking my rods in wednesday or thursday.

I now know they are in there as I've counted quite afew (and of course hooked a few too) so its just a case of waiting for em to feed up after their nuptuals.

Need to get me a cheap digi camera now as you lot will be right miffed if I start catching these fish and dont take the odd picky, right? :headhurt:

Went for a walk today down Hatton Locks...a nice section of canal with some carp to mid double figures. Didnt see any today but plenty of indications of fish activity. So many places to fish and only one lifetime..................sigh!

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

Well here we are again........another post and another blank!!! LOL!

No joke either!

I've been a bit busy with other stuff so not fished every night since my last post but at least a couple of times and still no carp!!!!

I fished tonight and the fish were EVERYWHERE but I couldnt catch a sausage. I fished one area and loads of looks from bream but kept getting snagged up on rocks so gave up that swim. Fished oth rods in the end in an area I had baited up around teatime but didnt get a sniff.

Rakes of carp still showing in the weeds though so must be STILL doing the spawning thing. HAd a nice common head n shouldering right in the middle of the weed bed!

Also had some fish in around a foot to a foot and a half of water in front of me swirling the water around but couldnt catch em when offered my bait.

Tried a variation on my method mix tonight too..........ground up a loaf of bread..boiled up some pigeon mix and hemp and then when done gave it a good glug of molasses. Added some to the bread and then two big handfuls of layers mash and ground hemp. Result was fabulous but didnt atttract the carp!!!

If I fish tomorrow I have a coffee jar full of shelf life strawberry boilies..............lets give em a try!!!

Bottom line is I believe the fish are STILL not feeding properly and sometime over the next week or so they will simply switch back on again.

Its a grudge thang now! <_<

Well here we are again........another post and another blank!!! LOL!

Tried a variation on my method mix tonight too..........ground up a loaf of bread..boiled up some pigeon mix and hemp and then when done gave it a good glug of molasses. Added some to the bread and then two big handfuls of layers mash and ground hemp. Result was fabulous but didnt atttract the carp!!!

If I fish tomorrow I have a coffee jar full of shelf life strawberry boilies..............lets give em a try!!!

Bottom line is I believe the fish are STILL not feeding properly and sometime over the next week or so they will simply switch back on again.

Its a grudge thang now! <_<

Brumagem Phil, hope this not going to be an offence but I think you better stop making that mix as it is clear after this while that it is not going to work out.

In my view as I think, I know where you're fishing at, then try this (as my proven method) - 1 brown breadcrumbs but either in the fish-meal or pure bread crumb or both will be even better. A handful of sweetcorn and small chop up luncheon meat. Mixed all this until the groundbait is light and fluffy. Forget the hemp as it seem to attract the small fish. Also forget the Pigeon mix as well, stick to a small amount of Molasses than a large glug of it, as I don't think it will attract the carp but will attract the bream. A friend of mine not long ago used small 10mm boilies added to the groundbait as well to using them as hookbait. But you can used the sweetcorn or the luncheon meat.

Used either a method feeder or preferable a Drennan gripmesh open end feeder set up. |The hooklenght is also critical as the groundbait in the cage feeder is exploding from the feeder attracts fish. If your hooklenght is say 3ft longer than the link to your feeder then wind in to pull the hookbait nearer to the cloud. If you get it dead right and wind it in 3ft then your hookbait should be lying with the other free offerings from the feeder. After you've made several cast the fish should of course, be hunting over a wider area, because you can't cast in the same spot every time. Please note, that as the feeder moves it may also kick up a little clouds of mud will will also attracts the fish.

Hope this will work out for you.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Guest Brumagem Phil

Andrew, thanks for the reply. There are a couple of other people who have been fishing it recently and they have had no carp either.

Whilst I take on board your remarks about the mix, the fact is they did feed very well on it just a few weeks ago. IMO the whole lake wouldnt switch off a natural mix like that overnight. I deliberatly chose a base mix that I thought would'nt upset them too much and I think one built around pulses and beans does that quite well specially given the binder is bread (not met a carp yet that dont like bread!)

Having said that, I will experiment and try different mixes (I have tried my river mix which is heavily fishy) but had no joy with that either.

Its my opinion that they simply aint interested in feeding at the moment (after all I am getting the bream on my mix).

Took a break last night and fished the river last night......2 barbel and 1 bream was a decent result but again the bites I found to be a bit finicky.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Well I gave it a quick 3 hours or so tonight and still no carp. Plenty still crashing around and rolling in the middle of the weeds though! I'm getting desperate now so might chuck my method feeder in the middle and see what happens! <_<

Used the same groundbait as the other night (I'm not gonna be psyched out on this one as you'd KNOW its crackin bait if you smelt and felt it) but used a variation on the hook. Halibut boillies on the one and maple boilies on the other (left over from last nights river sesh). Even tried wrapping them in halibut pellet paste too. Nothing.........even had one fish rolling no more than 10 feet from my bait all the time I was there.

There was a match on the pool today and between about 20 blokes they managed to muster just 2 bream all day. Even they couldnt understand how badly it was fishing.

Do you recall me mentioning those little red worms I saw right near the edge? (did I even mention them on here????) Anyway, a week or two back for two or three nights, these worms were right at the edge in just an inch or two of water. I described em to a fellah today (about and inch long bright red and with a body segmented like a caterpillar rather than smooth) and he seemed to think they were bloodworms. IF thats the case then this lake has sh*t loads of bloodworm and could maybe explain why its so hard to fish. I've wondered why it fished so well for that short period of time and maybe come up with an explanation there.......if the carp have a mad feed up just before they spawn, maybe they will just gorge on whatever is available for that short space of time? Just thinking aloud anyway.

We have a composter in the back garden and it has tons of those small red worms in it........now I know they aint blood worms but wondered if you guys would think they might make a reasonable alternative to try?

Thanks for listening.

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

A quick couple of hours tonight yielded nothing despite using compost worms on the hook.

I might try hand grenades tomorrow <_<

Guest Brumagem Phil

A quick update..........

fished the pool a couple of times this week but nowt but a couple of bream.

Went to earlswood tonight for a change and fished engine pool (stocked with carp) and set up the beachcaster just so I could give my reels (and arms) a workout for a change!! Took 11 carp in the sesh which went from 9pm to about 1am. I've had more frenetic sessions but enjoyed it as it made a change from my other rather quiet venue.

Anyway, I had a chat with a fellah who I know is a well clued up session carp merchant. I explained what I'd done and where and over what timeframes. He said I'd done nothing wrong and that I should ditch my pool for around 4 to 6 weeks and then go back to it. He said some fish are spawning, some are cleaning, some simply aint interested in food, and those that are have larva of every sort in there along with so much other natural stuff that trying to coax em onto my bait is just tooooo hard this early in the season.

As a session carp man he said the best times to fish hard lakes for carp are aug sept and oct as they want to feed up for the coming winter and all the larva etc was in short supply as its way past the breeding seasons, so it makes fishing for them a bit easier.

Seemed like good advice to me so whilst I will keep this thread running and wont dump that lake entirely for 4 to 6 weeks, I might concentrate on other waters for a while and put this lake onto the back burner.

I do have a permit to fish terrys pool at earlswood and aint fished it at all this year yet so may give that a bash. Some monster carp lurk in there too I'm told :):):)