COD FARMS

wtr2

Not that I care much of commercial fisherman....especially MR Binatone. But does anyone else think in the same frame of mind as me that as there are being more fish farms built to produce not just cod but lots of species that are now scarce. Soon there will be so many that prices for fisherman's catches will dip as the major fish suppliers around the country will start to do the same as the supermarkets instead of using the markets will buy from the conveyor belt of the fish farms and in turn the demand for fish on the quays will go down and so then will the prices...which will of course effect the commercial sector, but hey this is ANGLERS NET, not COMMERCIAL NET.

Just a thought, I don't know enough about it to have any answers.

If all fish were farmed would they not need more commercial fishermen to collect the fish to be processed into food for all these farms? Would it not be a disaster for the sea if all the non commercial species were harvested for fish meal, ie sandeel.

I think it is far better to target fish at the top of their food chain rather than to remove species lower down which will have a knock on effect.

The energy requirements of keeping the fish in artificial conditions and collecting, processing and feeding the farmed fish would be huge, would it make it commercially viable for the lower value species. I think farming is viable at the moment due to high prices and doubt if they would reduce if farming became the dominant method of production.

Also by concentrating so many fish in a small area would their waste not be a problem?

If all fish were farmed would they not need more commercial fishermen to collect the fish to be processed into food for all these farms? Would it not be a disaster for the sea if all the non commercial species were harvested for fish meal, ie sandeel.

Nah...In the great british tradition of agriculture they would process the unpalatable bits & dead bodies of their ancesters ,add a smidgeon of GI additives, feed it to the farmed fish and end up with something akin to foot & mouth. Would that be Fin & mouth? Thats my guess anyway :P

Nah...In the great british tradition of agriculture they would process the unpalatable bits & dead bodies of their ancesters ,add a smidgeon of GI additives, feed it to the farmed fish and end up with something akin to foot & mouth. Would that be Fin & mouth? Thats my guess anyway :P

believe it or not, they have actually had something similar in a turbot farm in scotland.

i don't know the ins and outs of it, but it had something to do with feeding raw herring/sandeel etc to fish bred in captivity with no natural immunity to wild diseases.

apparently they had to slaughter thousands of marketable turbot.

now they are fed on processed fishmeal.....i believe.

i'm sure someone will find a link on this subject

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

IMO it is becoming less and less acceptable to by fish from stocks that are at unsafe levels. The work of greenpeace and other pressure groups has hit the consience of the shopper and the supermarket. As the word spreads that the seas are Cream crackered consumers will look more and more for acceptable sources of fish. The only answer appears to be farmed fish no matter how good or bad it may be. Perhaps one day trawlers whether fantasy or real may be a thing of the past.

Many many years ago all food was wild and man became a hunter gather,

many many years later they became farmers and heard man,

farming fish is just a way forwards.

While living in Australia I lived with two oyster farmers all grown on a wooded frame and very cheap $2.50 for 30+ oysters try getting them at that price now in this country.

As for us the anglers "it will be fishing Jim, but not as we know it" :) (stolen from Star Trek )

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?