COD FARMS

wtr2

The problem with fish farming is that they seem to try to farm the "wrong" sort of fish. We don't farm carnivorous mammals, we farm plant eaters like cows and sheep. Start farming fish that will happily eat vegetables, carp for example, and then "educate" the public into eating them. A lot of the problem with trying to eat unusual fish is down to lack of knowledge about what to do with them. I can see no good reason to put cod in fishcakes and fish fingers!

The problem with fish farming is that they seem to try to farm the "wrong" sort of fish. We don't farm carnivorous mammals, we farm plant eaters like cows and sheep. Start farming fish that will happily eat vegetables, carp for example, and then "educate" the public into eating them. A lot of the problem with trying to eat unusual fish is down to lack of knowledge about what to do with them. I can see no good reason to put cod in fishcakes and fish fingers!

Just a thought, exactly what fresh water fish are good to eat apart from the obvious, ie. eels, trout, salmon, etc?

Just a thought, exactly what fresh water fish are good to eat apart from the obvious, ie. eels, trout, salmon, etc?

In many countries without a sea coast, eating freshwater fish such as carp and bream is common. I believe that the market for a farmed species called Tilapia is worth nearly two billion dollars a year (but I don't think they will survive our climate).

In many countries without a sea coast, eating freshwater fish such as carp and bream is common. I believe that the market for a farmed species called Tilapia is worth nearly two billion dollars a year (but I don't think they will survive our climate).

Well I hope that our climate is too cold for them. They can be a really invasive species. Some tilapia were introduced into Hawaii some time ago to control weed and algae. The Tilapia responded with aplomb and sure enough the eat all the algae and weeds that were blocking up the irrigation ditches. Once all the weed was gone the Tilapia just started to eat all the native species. In Madagascar they are displacing the native ciclids ate an alarming rate. I read somewhere that some lakes in Texas have tilapia infestations estimated at 2,000 lbs of fish per acre. When will we ever learn huh?

Here is a link, http://www.state.gov/g/oes/ocns/inv/cs/2310.htm

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote