How can accommodation be improved for anglers?

Barbara Devoti

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for VisitScotland and am putting together recommendations for all accommodation types (from hotels to caravan parks) on how they can be as welcoming as possible to anglers. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Feedback greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Hi Barbara

I live on Deeside and fish all over Scotland. I like to stay in "traditional" fishing hotels like this one

http://www.altnaharra.com/

For me it has everything right, good food and drink, a relaxed atmosphere in the bar where the talk is always about fishing and fish, great packed lunches and somewhere to leave your boots and dry off your clothes and waders etc

I suppose that's what every one wants on a fishing holiday, somewhere that they feel "at home"

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

a drying room is essential, despite the adverts the rivers wouldn't be so good if it never rained.

good food and plenty of it is important, particularly if you're to be out all day, not that I've ever had complaints about breakfasts I've had in scotland.

if the hotel doesn't provide evening meals, good recommendations for somewhere to go would be helpful, reasonably priced pubs etc. If booking is necessary it would be helpful if the hotel could book those for us in order to allow us more time on the bank.

a freezer and allocated freezer space for freezing your catch, very helpful for those who plan to take fish home with them.

advice as to local waters and contact details for guides. This would be particularly helpful if details/links were sent out at the time that the booking is confirmed.

just a few ideas, hope that helps.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Yes Barbara,I reckon your first two replies covered all the essentials :) Nice going chaps

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I work for VisitScotland and am putting together recommendations for all accommodation types (from hotels to caravan parks) on how they can be as welcoming as possible to anglers. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Feedback greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

What anglers coming to Scotland require more than anything is information about fishing venues, permits, prices and availability of bait. Here in Galloway we have some great coarse and trout (and sea) fishing but information for visitors is not good. Many places are charging exorbitant prices for permits for coarse fishing because they don't really care. As an example £5.00 - £10.00 a day to fish waters which are unmanaged and not maintained and probably have a head of wild fish (limited species) and never been stocked. In comparison I can fish on a commecial water in England which is well maintained and has been well stocked for £6.00 day. It also has facilities such as toilets. Access is another problem. There are many places where there is no access for coarse fishing as it is controlled by trout and salmon interests. I know of one spot on the River Dee near Castle Douglas whch is perfect for access and full of coarse fish such as Roach, Dace and Bream. However it is exclusively salmon fishing controlled by The national Trust for Scotland. This particular location would not hold any salmon and would never be fished by any salmon angler. Carlingwark Loch in Castle Douglas is another venue perfect for development and would benefit the local economy tremendously. At the moment it is fished primarily by 'holiday anglers' with inadequate equipment, is not controlled, and many fish are subjected to poor treatment. The loch could be stocked, platforms built and I believe the depth could even be increased which would help the blue algae problem and subsequent smell! This would benefit everyone. Many anglers travel through Galloway to get on the ferry to go to Ireland to fish, particularly coarse anglers. Here we have better scenery and potentially better fishing and there are no ferry costs involved. I have just started an organisation called the Coarse Angling Development Group whose primary aim is to lobby for access to coarse fishing venues and provide advice to land owners. I can be contacted on 01556 650122 or through my web site www.greenhousegallery.co.uk

What anglers coming to Scotland require more than anything is information about fishing venues, permits, prices and availability of bait. Here in Galloway we have some great coarse and trout (and sea) fishing but information for visitors is not good. Many places are charging exorbitant prices for permits for coarse fishing because they don't really care. As an example £5.00 - £10.00 a day to fish waters which are unmanaged and not maintained and probably have a head of wild fish (limited species) and never been stocked. In comparison I can fish on a commecial water in England which is well maintained and has been well stocked for £6.00 day. It also has facilities such as toilets. Access is another problem. There are many places where there is no access for coarse fishing as it is controlled by trout and salmon interests. I know of one spot on the River Dee near Castle Douglas whch is perfect for access and full of coarse fish such as Roach, Dace and Bream. However it is exclusively salmon fishing controlled by The national Trust for Scotland. This particular location would not hold any salmon and would never be fished by any salmon angler. Carlingwark Loch in Castle Douglas is another venue perfect for development and would benefit the local economy tremendously. At the moment it is fished primarily by 'holiday anglers' with inadequate equipment, is not controlled, and many fish are subjected to poor treatment. The loch could be stocked, platforms built and I believe the depth could even be increased which would help the blue algae problem and subsequent smell! This would benefit everyone. Many anglers travel through Galloway to get on the ferry to go to Ireland to fish, particularly coarse anglers. Here we have better scenery and potentially better fishing and there are no ferry costs involved. I have just started an organisation called the Coarse Angling Development Group whose primary aim is to lobby for access to coarse fishing venues and provide advice to land owners. I can be contacted on 01556 650122 or through my web site www.greenhousegallery.co.uk

hi

since when are scottish wild trout waters stocked?. i have been fishing wild trout waters around scotland for years. in particular campsie and stanley. these waters cost £4.00 per day to fish and the fish are amazing. these waters hold a good head of trout , salmon ,sea trout , grayling, roach, rudd, and numerous other coarse fish. people who fish managed waters which are stocked are not fishing for wild fish. trout and salmon magazine done a study on where to fish for wild trout and guess what scotland came first by 70%. i have no doubt that ireland has good fishing i have fished the shannon for salmon on numerous occasions but you simply cant beat scotland.

hi

since when are scottish wild trout waters stocked?. i have been fishing wild trout waters around scotland for years. in particular campsie and stanley. these waters cost £4.00 per day to fish and the fish are amazing. these waters hold a good head of trout , salmon ,sea trout , grayling, roach, rudd, and numerous other coarse fish. people who fish managed waters which are stocked are not fishing for wild fish. trout and salmon magazine done a study on where to fish for wild trout and guess what scotland came first by 70%. i have no doubt that ireland has good fishing i have fished the shannon for salmon on numerous occasions but you simply cant beat scotland.

I was actually refering to coarse fisheries when making the point about high charges and little or no management or stocking. You are absolutely right that there is brilliant wild trout fishing in Scotland at a very reasonable cost.

• 2 months later...
Guest Complete Fisher

Barbara,

I think you have other priorities you need to tackle first on the fishing front.

This year Loch Leven is closing to the masses. Leven is a shrine to anglers all over the world who make a journey to Scotland every year to fish the Loch. How about the Scottish Tourist Board acting on this?

Chris

Barbara,

I think you have other priorities you need to tackle first on the fishing front.

This year Loch Leven is closing to the masses. Leven is a shrine to anglers all over the world who make a journey to Scotland every year to fish the Loch. How about the Scottish Tourist Board acting on this?

Chris

What Loch Leven are you talking about there is more than one.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote