How can accommodation be improved for anglers?

Barbara Devoti

I'm a Scot too, but I have not lived in Scotland since about 1987. To be honest I think coarse fishing in Scotland was better in the 1970's than it is now. I those days hardly anyone did any coarse fishing, most other anglers thought you were off your chump fishing for anything other than salmon or trout. I use to buy a salmon and trout permit for the River Leven and then fish the whole of Loch Lomond for coarse fish. None of the bailiffs ever bothered us once they found out we were only fishing for roach or perch.

I could also go and fish for free in the Forth and Clyde Canal. Okay it was a dirty old hole then but it was free.

Coarse fishing is gaining in popularity very quickly up here now, with lots of waters opening up, a lot of them are trout waters starting up little carp ponds to try and make extra cash. We even have a Scottish carp group that have a good few carp waters. There is even a mixed commercial open now.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coarse fishing is gaining in popularity very quickly up here now, with lots of waters opening up, a lot of them are trout waters starting up little carp ponds to try and make extra cash. We even have a Scottish carp group that have a good few carp waters. There is even a mixed commercial open now.

Paul.

I know but when I was a nipper no body else did it, if you did you were a looney, but we used to get away with fishing round loch lomond for perch and roach 100% free. I'm not one for joining clubs etc.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Hi all, regardless of what kind of fishing your doing, in scotland i think the best thing to get before you go fishing would probably be midge count and a reliable, detailed weather forecast

your all going on about course fishing and talking about "fluff chuckers" isnt this the fly fishing forum????????? :huh:

your all going on about course fishing and talking about "fluff chuckers" isnt this the fly fishing forum????????? :huh:
It certainly is the fly fishing section of AnglersNet but since the question was pretty general, the answers will tend to be as well.

The topic could certainly have been moved to another section but the question was, where?

Fly fishing - fair enough. Plenty of that up north and the fly section isn't too busy so the activity will be nice.

Coarse fishing - certainly would have gotten more exposure but there isn't so much general coarse fishing up that way.

Non Fishing - that would have worked since the question isn't purely fishing. On the other hand, many anglers do not read the non fishing.

Sea, photography, for sale & kayak didn't even seem to be in the running and none of the other forums see the amount of activity this topic deserves..

In the end we basically decided that since the topic started used the fly fishing forum, we'd just leave it here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi all, regardless of what kind of fishing your doing, in scotland i think the best thing to get before you go fishing would probably be midge count and a reliable, detailed weather forecast

Sorry i tend to look at all the forums being an all round angler, sometimes i forget where i am.........

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Sorry i tend to look at all the forums being an all round angler, sometimes i forget where i am.........

I didnt mean to have a go but i hate being called a fluff chucker :wallbash:

I too am an all round angler (better with a fly though) I would throw a bait into a mucky puddle if it was the only fishing option.

but to get back onto the topic, weather reports dont often seem to be very particular about wind speeds which can affect all types of fishing

It certainly is the fly fishing section of AnglersNet but since the question was pretty general, the answers will tend to be as well.

The topic could certainly have been moved to another section but the question was, where?

Fly fishing - fair enough. Plenty of that up north and the fly section isn't too busy so the activity will be nice.

Coarse fishing - certainly would have gotten more exposure but there isn't so much general coarse fishing up that way.

Non Fishing - that would have worked since the question isn't purely fishing. On the other hand, many anglers do not read the non fishing.

Sea, photography, for sale & kayak didn't even seem to be in the running and none of the other forums see the amount of activity this topic deserves..

In the end we basically decided that since the topic started used the fly fishing forum, we'd just leave it here.

my point wasn't that the question wa posed in the right or wrong place, my point was that on the fly forum the term "fluff chucker" might not be appreciated (not by me anyway)

I have absolutely no objections to anyone giving thier point of view (if it's valid) on any forum but an obviously sarcastic/derogetory remark serves no purpose.

I have been called a lot worse (you might have guessed) but still