New Parliamentary Angling Group Formed

That looks very encouraging Leon, it's about time anglers were represented and recognised as an asset to the environment, and contributers to the economy.

All we have to do, is convince the yobbo rubbish depositing element in our midst to behave. Quite how we do that I don't know.

Guest binatone

Hello Leon. How many sea anglers in your estimation actually want to be represented? Would it be more or would it be less than are prepared to pay for a licence to fish?

Not quite sure what a proposed licence has to do with anglers wanting or opposing representation via an all party parliamentary group supporting angling as a whole.

The fact that there is cross party support for angling as a sport has to be good news and worthy of words of support from those that enjoy the sport. So long as there is genuine cross party support surpassing any change of leader or party then it will help to keep Govt. on its toes when rules and issues regarding angling are on the agenda for discussion

A licence to fish is very different to a package of measures including a licence.

If that package means that money is handed over to the SFCs to finance fishery management for the benefit of commercial fisherman then that is a very different situation to a package of measure that need financing by anglers. Perhaps including recreational fishing only areas; species managed principally with the intention of developing the recreational fishery; enhancements to recreational fishery areas including artificial reefs etc.

It could be that we need strong representation to prevent DEFRA imposing a licence on anglers, it could mean that we need strong representation, if the government is determined to go ahead with imposing a licence, to ensure that anglers get the best deal possible from that.

Binatone, ask me again when we see a package on the table, and then your question might actually begin to make some sense.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest binatone
A licence to fish is very different to a package of measures including a licence.

If that package means that money is handed over to the SFCs to finance fishery management for the benefit of commercial fisherman then that is a very different situation to a package of measure that need financing by anglers. Perhaps including recreational fishing only areas; species managed principally with the intention of developing the recreational fishery; enhancements to recreational fishery areas including artificial reefs etc.

It could be that we need strong representation to prevent DEFRA imposing a licence on anglers, it could mean that we need strong representation, if the government is determined to go ahead with imposing a licence, to ensure that anglers get the best deal possible from that.

Binatone, ask me again when we see a package on the table, and then your question might actually begin to make some sense.

No problem Leon. It’s just that in the article it mentions 3.5 million anglers. I just wondered how many of those anglers actually wanted any kind of representation. That’s all. Its seams strange to me how so few think they can discuss what they think are the best interests of so many when they have not been asked to do so by the majority.

That’s all. Its seams strange to me how so few think they can discuss what they think are the best interests of so many when they have not been asked to do so by the majority.

I think you will find in almost any facet of life only a few are prepared to stand up and be counted, so I find nothing abnormal about about your statement.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

No problem Leon. It’s just that in the article it mentions 3.5 million anglers. I just wondered how many of those anglers actually wanted any kind of representation. That’s all. Its seams strange to me how so few think they can discuss what they think are the best interests of so many when they have not been asked to do so by the majority.

Applying that criteria then perhaps this forum should be closed down :(

but then, as it's a silent majority, who'd know if they had have asked

so I guess to be safe, we'd better just carry on :)

but of course I can't speak for the commercial interests.