Is it the end for charter skippers and fishing clubs? No time to bury your heads

glennk

Hello Ken

Have you ever been on a charter trip from the N East coast?

Unless thing have changed in the last 10 years.

It's different, there is not to much sport involved, the aim is to fill a box as quickly as you can , pulling fish up 2 or 3 at a time , desperate to catch enough to fill the chest freezer with fillets and maybe enough to sell to the local chippy to pay for the trip, it's more like work, hard work at that, the relaxed picture you describe goes out the window on these trips.

What are the plusses for a licence? A very big shout in how things are controlled for one, bringing into account all those who just pick up a rod without giving the wider picture a single thought, bring these so called recreational weekend netters into the fold of conservation and a lot more aspects as well.

You might if very lucky end up with a tiny whisper.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Leon,

Sorry I never put the whole post in. You have put that right. However In this case I feel taking 1 element of the package aside and discussing it in isolation is essential as its that 1 element that will create such big problems here.

The end of the day a bag limit could spell disater for things as we know it. I am annoyed that this is being slid in through the back door whilst those who it will effect the most arent even aware of what is happening. It may be great news to some but I think if Defra expect people here to sacrifice their business and way of life so they can pat theirselves on the back and say look what we have done for the benefit of angling the very least they can do is let those people know so that they can mobilise their own response so they dont have to rely on being sold down the river by the NFSA yet again.

Hello Ken

Have you ever been on a charter trip from the N East coast?

Unless thing have changed in the last 10 years.

It's different, there is not to much sport involved, the aim is to fill a box as quickly as you can , pulling fish up 2 or 3 at a time , desperate to catch enough to fill the chest freezer with fillets and maybe enough to sell to the local chippy to pay for the trip, it's more like work, hard work at that, the relaxed picture you describe goes out the window on these trips.

What are the plusses for a licence? A very big shout in how things are controlled for one, bringing into account all those who just pick up a rod without giving the wider picture a single thought, bring these so called recreational weekend netters into the fold of conservation and a lot more aspects as well.

You might if very lucky end up with a tiny whisper.

Peter what a load of ****s you are talking ,you are talking of the old days scarborough reel a thick solid glass rod those days are long gone mate.

We fish very light nowadays 30lb braid carbon rods jellys sport is the name of the game i suppose you still have your scarborough reel :rolleyes: from when you were up here do you still use it.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello glennk

its a serious matter, in fact to some it's our lives.

You are beginning to sound like Arnold Locker.

Hello Big Cod

There is one thing you are forgetting peter is WHY there is a so called shortage of cod.

Millions of small codling over the years gone back over the side and millions is not an underestimate

That has nothing what so ever with the decision to introduce bag limits on all species .

Wurzel things have changed greatly. It is no longer possible to catch fish 3 at a time. Methods have changed and 1 fish caught on a shad is often the norm. Filling boxes is a thing of the past and rightly so. The ability to fill boxes finished in the 90's. But on the other hand catching a bag limit 2 fish of a species IMO would not allow this industry to continue.

The average charter trip is £40 per head, with that figure rising into the many hundreds for those taking the extended hours charters from the town. Anglers travel from all over the country, they often stay the week with their family. Admittedly their are those for whom it's a breath of fresh air and a nice day out which is nice to see and Paul even tells me their is an increase in anglers applying catch and release. But this type of angler is still in the minority and there certainly isnt enough of them to supply 20 boats with enough business.

Big_cod

As Peter says it has nothing to do with whosse to blaim. You need to focuss on what your going to do rather than who your going to blame :) Remember The towns commercial fishermen wont be running a benevelent fund for redundant charter skippers.

Edited by glennk

Hello glennk

its a serious matter, in fact to some it's our lives.

You are beginning to sound like Arnold Locker.

Hello Big Cod

There is one thing you are forgetting peter is WHY there is a so called shortage of cod.

Millions of small codling over the years gone back over the side and millions is not an underestimate

That has nothing what so ever with the decision to introduce bag limits on all species .

WRONG IF THERE WAS THE COD THERE WAS 30 YEARS AGO WOULD DEFRA BE TALKING OF BAG LIMITS I DONT THINK SO.

Untitled-1.jpg

If anglers want the fishery to be managed so they can stand a better chance of a decent catch then they will have to pay a lisence and learn to onide by anny laws.

The trouble is that the fisheries have so far been badly managed and NO ANGLER WILL PAY FOR THAT!

So we have chicken and egg senario, anglers want better fish stocks but will not pay until they see better catch, but the better catches will not happen without good managment wich costs money.

As for bag limets and how charter boats would deal with a lisence for anglers well a charter boat could just pay one lisence to cover the boats anglers all year. There are always common sense answers that DEFRA will need educating by charter skippers.

Bag limits could be in certain areas for example the upper reaches of estuaries where fish often breed. Other areas could have different bag limits appropriate to them.

Things are going to change in Sea Angling of that Im sure, its up to us anglers and those in the sea angling business to be educating DEFRA and the govement to whats needed.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hello Big Cod

Peter what a load of ****s you are talking ,you are talking of the old days scarborough reel a thick solid glass rod those days are long gone mate.

We fish very light nowadays 30lb braid carbon rods jellys sport is the name of the game i suppose you still have your scarborough reel from when you were up here do you still use it.

Never owned one, ABU 7000 18 lb line, a single Edystone Eel was all I ever used.

I could always cast away from the mob with the crane hire rods.

They quite possibly would Paul. This is nothing to do with Cod, Pick another species and you might get there.

Yes glennk barking up the wrong tree .

In reality if they think bag limits will make any difference to stocks compaired to commercial pressure oh deer.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg