Is it the end for charter skippers and fishing clubs? No time to bury your heads

glennk

Guest binatone
Look forward to seeing the pic cod meister. Did you catch the big fish Graham. Nice to hear of some monsters getting caught at Whitby again. Must be the biggest for quite some years - well done.

All the pics were on the site Graham.

http://chieftaincharters.tripod.com/GRAHAM...RS%20020(1).jpg

Glenk

http://www.chieftaincharters.com/PHOTOS%2006.htm

Thanks for the link glenk seams that there are BIG COD still out there to be caught by anglers. Reading the article it seams that graham was fishing more towards the Danish coast than Whitby. There are not many boats in them parts that target cod because they have not got the quota.

I suppose that when you see that amount of fish being caught (by anglers) it again opens the debate as to weather bag limits should be introduced? Or does it?

I wonder what grahams views would be on bag limits? Well done graham, have fished the North Sea for many a year and can only dream of 30 and 33lb cod.

Like you said glenk, good news for Whitby. Good to see that there are still plenty of fish out there to be caught as long as you do what commercial fishermen have had to do all there lives, and that’s go and find them.

Big cod.

Now then old lad, what’s this about a sex change? I read in the Whitby gazette that the last festival was a close ran thing this year. Only ounces in it. Would of grahams 33lb fish of won the day do you think? Regardless of weather it had been caught by a man or a woman?

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenk

http://www.chieftaincharters.com/PHOTOS%2006.htm

Big cod.

Now then old lad, what’s this about a sex change? I read in the Whitby gazette that the last festival was a close ran thing this year. Only ounces in it. Would of grahams 33lb fish of won the day do you think? Regardless of weather it had been caught by a man or a woman?

Hi binitone a 33lb cod a bonny fish mate but was it weighed officially or was it one of them that grows and grows in size very time its mentioned or were the scales bouncing up and down at sea was it 23 or 33 who knows ive heard tales of big fish before but until they are weighed officially at ther tackle shop they dont mean anything its just waffle.

Oh and as for the for spring festival winner being only just over 8lb as weather conditions were obscene i dont think you could have beaten that fish as you were tied up if i remember correctly, but the guy was very happy with winning a £1000 cash as his photo was in tuesday gazette can you by any chance win that sort of cash on your vessel oh no i forgot you are not a member of the whitby charter skippers association sorry.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest binatone
Hi binitone a 33lb cod a bonny fish mate but was it weighed officially or was it one of them that grows and grows in size very time its mentioned or were the scales bouncing up and down at sea was it 23 or 33 who knows ive heard tales of big fish before but until they are weighed officially at ther tackle shop they dont mean anything its just waffle.

Oh and as for the for spring festival winner being only just over 8lb as weather conditions were obscene i dont think you could have beaten that fish as you were tied up if i remember correctly, but the guy was very happy with winning a £1000 cash as his photo was in tuesday gazette can you by any chance win that sort of cash on your vessel oh no i forgot you are not a member of the whitby charter skippers association sorry.

I don’t know if it was 33lb or not big cod? I am the same as you. I can only go bye the photos on the web site and by what the man said who caught it.

I am sure that john and Michele would not be so stupid to make up stories and pretend that they caught large fish when they have a boat load of witnesses there to witness what they saw.

As for being in an association? You’re talking to the wrong bloke big cod. What part of I am not a charter skipper do you not understand?

Still as glenk said its good news for Whitby. Cannot do Whitby angling any harm and after a poor festival perhaps some good news is what’s needed

Hi Binatone, glad to see your been a little more amicable of late.

A couple of years ago Sea angler wrote some articles saying that the eastern side of the North sea was the place to go for the lunkers these days and I understand that area is said to be one of the main Breeding grounds for the north sea with colder water through the winter months. Im not too sure about bag limits but would you say it would be better to return 20 cod of about 2 pound in weight or 1 of thirty pounds which has far more breeding potential than the smaller fish ? (what are your honest thoughts on this ?. I'm not saying that Graham should have returned what is truely the fish of a lifetime but given what is known about spawning it sure would do more good than returning 20 little fish wouldnt you say ?.

Nice to hear of some monsters getting caught at Whitby again. Must be the biggest for quite some years

This particular fish was caught in the Netherlands oil sector of the North Sea. Other than the fact that I sail from and return to Whitby, I fail to see how most of the fish caught on the Chieftain on offshore trips have anything to do with Whitby or any other Whitby charter boats. Many of my offshore trips are closer to other European countries than they are to England.

a 33lb cod a bonny fish mate but was it weighed officially or was it one of them that grows and grows in size very time its mentioned or were the scales bouncing up and down at sea was it 23 or 33 who knows ive heard tales of big fish before but until they are weighed officially at ther tackle shop they dont mean anything its just waffle.

When I read this out to Michele, her immediate response was “What a mean- spirited attitude he has towards his fellow anglers!” I agree. But then again it is only what we have come to expect from you and/or your clan when it comes to anything associated with my success in the charter business.

As for the weighing of fish, it is down to the integrity and conscience of the anglers and the other witnesses of the weighing process. For the record, the fish in question was not weighed by me (I very rarely weigh fish for anglers) but by a fellow angler who was not a member of Graham’s party, therefore he was totally unbiased. The weighings of both Graham’s 33-pound cod and Charlie’s 30-pound cod were witnessed by the other anglers on board, who naturally were all interested to see the result for themselves.

Please note that, unlike yourself, I have never been on any forums to promote the fish catches by any of my anglers. Pictures are posted on our website as a service to our customers, who enjoy seeing their photographs – and those of their fellow anglers - online.

Anyway, I do not know what all the fuss is about. I have nothing to prove to anyone. The only fish I would bring in whole to be officially weighed would be a potential record one.

Hopefully, if this year proceeds as previous ones have, there will be many more trips of the calibre of the one that is currently under debate.

oh no i forgot you are not a member of the whitby charter skippers association sorry.

Strangely enough, neither am I!

JB

Edited by John and Michele

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Sorry if I offended you John it wasnt intended. I think you need to be able to identify a compliment and accept it even if its from someone you dont like. This stupidity has gone on far too long - just remember when someone googles your boat name this conversation shows up. End of the day its a cracking fish both for Graham and yourself as a skipper and arguing the toss over where it was caught will only detract from what is a truely great achievment in this day and age.

Edited by glennk

paul calm down less of the sour grapes,one thing last week when i was off with JB and i landed a seventeen pound cod and it was weighed on the perfectly good scales on the chieftain to shortly after being weighed on a set of scales that one of the other anglers swore by and was the same seventeen pounds,as for the fish charles wilson has in his arms i have know charles for a good few years and is a true gentle man and a very good angler and would have no reason to exagerate.paul they are out there fishing in places that have never had a line droped on,there will be bigger ones.

Hello to all...yes Glen I do belive in catch and release...but would that cod have lived??..I had better takes for the jigger than that one...and yes it went round the boat for weighing,like it's a once in a lifetime fish...it had a mouth like a bucket top..BIG COD sorry for the sex change issue,but you must have read why I became Walcott(lost my password for CODMASTER-GRAHAM)..YES I would like a sex change into a woman as you can get away with murder...I went on that trip to catch a big one..there was only 3 drifts that I fished with multi hook rigs...all the rest was single jigger with short strings 8/0 hooks ...the big fish I caught using a jigger with 2 hook string 8/0 hooks with a red/lumo twintail on..on the morning when I got the fish,Michele said go catch a 32lb one as Charlie had his 30lber....the luck was with me...but give John B his due...he put the boat onto the fish/wreck..so my next job is go for a bigger one.....so why you all want to slag the CHIEFTAIN off... or JB/Michele I don't know??,..you can see all the photo's on Chieftains site...Thanks Graham

This particular fish was caught in the Netherlands oil sector of the North Sea. Other than the fact that I sail from and return to Whitby, I fail to see how most of the fish caught on the Chieftain on offshore trips have anything to do with Whitby or any other Whitby charter boats. Many of my offshore trips are closer to other European countries than they are to England.

When I read this out to Michele, her immediate response was “What a mean- spirited attitude he has towards his fellow anglers!” I agree. But then again it is only what we have come to expect from you and/or your clan when it comes to anything associated with my success in the charter business.

As for the weighing of fish, it is down to the integrity and conscience of the anglers and the other witnesses of the weighing process. For the record, the fish in question was not weighed by me (I very rarely weigh fish for anglers) but by a fellow angler who was not a member of Graham’s party, therefore he was totally unbiased. The weighings of both Graham’s 33-pound cod and Charlie’s 30-pound cod were witnessed by the other anglers on board, who naturally were all interested to see the result for themselves.

Please note that, unlike yourself, I have never been on any forums to promote the fish catches by any of my anglers. Pictures are posted on our website as a service to our customers, who enjoy seeing their photographs – and those of their fellow anglers - online.

Anyway, I do not know what all the fuss is about. I have nothing to prove to anyone. The only fish I would bring in whole to be officially weighed would be a potential record one.

Hopefully, if this year proceeds as previous ones have, there will be many more trips of the calibre of the one that is currently under debate.

Strangely enough, neither am I!

JB

John, a mean ittitude so why the hell is binitone trying to take the **** regarding the spring festival just remember I KNOW WHAT BINITONE STANDS FOR and i think most people on this forum have guest it by now its not rocket science i dont have or never had a list of carcters my name is in black and white ,what happened to repus .old man of the sea walcot started as a woman on here but then became a man :lol: i must admit i **** self with laughter when i read one of his or her recent posts, and as for being bitter towards anglers now that is a joke remember i am an angler myself and i know what makes anglers tick john you dont promote your buisness THE EVOLUTION OF COD FISHING so why do you say that the inshore fishing is shafted on your website is it not to promote the offshore experience where was the british record cod of 58 lb caught it was caught at approx 30 miles not 130 miles but most people probably wont know that.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest binatone
John, a mean ittitude so why the hell is binitone trying to take the **** regarding the spring festival just remember I KNOW WHAT BINITONE STANDS FOR and i think most people on this forum have guest it by now its not rocket science i dont have or never had a list of carcters my name is in black and white ,what happened to repus .old man of the sea walcot started as a woman on here but then became a man :lol: i must admit i **** self with laughter when i read one of his or her recent posts, and as for being bitter towards anglers now that is a joke remember i am an angler myself and i know what makes anglers tick john you dont promote your buisness THE EVOLUTION OF COD FISHING so why do you say that the inshore fishing is shafted on your website is it not to promote the offshore experience where was the british record cod of 58 lb caught it was caught at approx 30 miles not 130 miles but most people probably wont know that.

Glenk.

At the end of the day, what ever our opinions on what ever subjects, we have to take our deferentially made hats off to people who have a determination and love of our hobby that is sea angling.

If a person does well and catches a fish like the ones that where caught on the trip that seams to of produced some fishing of a lifetime, then we can only admire and applaud the people who took part.

By reading your last post on this matter I believe that you are honestly of the same opinion as me.

Big cod.

When on this forum has John and Michele promoted there business? I know that they defended it when you said “this boat is a rip off and is giving Whitby a bad name”

Still at the end of the day promoting your business is completely up to the promoter.

A bit like your signature on your posts.

John has had a few good articles published by people who make a living out of selling magazines to anglers. They therefore must of thought that these articles where of value to them and therefore there customers.

Unfortunately not everybody (you for one) could understand that most articles are only someone’s opinion and therefore may not be the same as yours.

But to try and take away from a fellow angler something that he has most likely strived for all his life is a very sad state of affairs.