Sailing

Simon Everett

post-6164-1148247637_thumb.jpgRight, this is a tester to see if I can post pictures....here goes!

post-6164-1148247829_thumb.jpgThat is the kit, as it comes. It goes together really easily - this is a kit made to fit the P13 specifically. The good news is that it will also fit on the Dorado and even better - on the Scupper Pro. All I have to do is add 4 ring eyes.

Here is a picture of rigging it - it takes a couple of minutes if it is totally stowed away in the bag. Or about one minute once you have put the poles together and done up the shackles on the two masts - I stow it open like this now ready to bung on in a jiffy.

A better idea of how the masts are lashed to the deck.

post-6164-1148247922_thumb.jpg

post-6164-1148248084_thumb.jpgThe forestay is elastic shock cord - pretty hefty stuff, 8mm, with a snap hook in the middle which just hooks straight onto the forward toggle handle. Then the sheets come stays just clip onto the saddle eyes along the gunwale

post-6164-1148248132_thumb.jpgReady for the water:

The masts are positioned so they lay flat and are held down by the paddle keeper bungy - either side. I dress to the left...

post-6164-1148248232_thumb.jpg

Then when you want to use the sail, it is a simple matter of releasing the furled set and the bungy forestay springs it upright into action - a bit like me, I spring upright into action at the release of elastic too....

post-6164-1148248335_thumb.jpg

George - the guinea pig! He had the mastery of it in about 5 minutes. I will teach him how to use the camera, so he can get a few pictures of me hauling myself out of the water.....

actually he said it felt quite stable and he was able to work out how to jam the sheets off so he could then use the paddle as a rudder, or supplementary paddle with the sail set:

post-6164-1148248520_thumb.jpg

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Simon.

I watched a SOT race on sky a few weeks back. They were using a similar sail kit on mailbu 2's in Loch Linnhe. The programme was called the Wilderness Arc. The boats rigged with the sail kits were miles ahead of those under paddle power.

I think under certain conditions I could use one of these. :boat:

Any pointers as to where I could buy one .

Neil.

Once you have played around for half an hour you can set it quite happily and she will sail on a broad reach - but not to windward, but then you wouldn't expect it with a rig like that. It can generate a surprising amount of speed though - a good 6 or 7 knots downwind given just a bit of steady breeze - Specimen, what we had in Scotland would have had is into Oban in about 3 minutes, airborne!

post-6164-1148248698_thumb.jpg

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

For trolling in places like Plymouth Sound, or Poole Harbour - or just for crossing a large piece of water it is ideal. It will take down and stow in the hatch quite happily simply by unclipping 5 spring clip hooks and undoing 2 strap buckles! You would have to beach to that, but if you were crossing to the Wareham Channel for instance, or over to Cawsand, then stick it away and paddle back out to where you were going to fish - or put up with the sail laying half across your legs. It isn't that obtrusive - but I wouldn't want to fish for tope with it there in all honesty, then it would be in the way. Bream etc, fine.

Here is another picture for you:

post-6164-1148248933_thumb.jpg

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

OK I put my hands up.! Im impressed. Could be fun on a reasonably calm day.

Wheres me dagger board me hearties!

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Nice write up Simon.And good pics too.

That looks a handy bit of kit to have :)

How much are they going for?Thats if you can get them over here.

zzippy2.gif

Even FLY liked it - and you can see the sail stowed in this pic:

post-6164-1148249180_thumb.jpg

post-6164-1148249216_thumb.jpg

post-6164-1148249243_thumb.jpg

I must find out about that kayak race for next time - the Skua is like a fireball with the delta rig. I haven't got any pictures yet but I am working on it. You lot wouldn't be interested in that though because she is a touring kayak - not for fishing, just for going places. Got any info on it anyone? Please.

SM - help yourself, of course!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

You can get them over here now - this was sent direct from New Zealand, but they are available from the Reading Canoe shop who are the Pacific Action agent for the UK - I happen to know he has 5 in stock and they are £185 (I think is what he said - in an email on the other computer! Too lazy to go through and look it up. I'll correct it if I am wrong).

I will rig the Scupper Pro for this kit too - I offered it up last night and it fits lovely - with the mast stepped a little further ahead (you won't be able to sail as close to the wind with it there of course) the sail will intrude less into the cockpit when furled and stowed. The same kit fits though. I will need to fasten 2 eye rings to the foredeck for the mast lashings, and another 2 eye rings for the sheet/stay clips - but I might get away without adding those, I'll have a proper check when it is self supporting! It didn't look too bad last night when I just tried it though.

On the Dorado it will be a pain in the arse - so that will remain a paddling kayak!

Silly me - I forget to say where you can get them from - go to Pacific Action website and they will give you the UK contact. Some great video clips and pictures on their website too!

Edited by Simon Everett

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hey Neil,

now that I have got the picture loading thing worked out - when it was tutored to me with someone looking over my shoulder - it was dead easy. EVEN I COULD DO IT. It is idiot proof after all!

Elton, I take back everything I said - all those insults hurled at you as the computer went for another flying lesson were only in jest....!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I was looking at a kite to try out on the Prowler.But for that I would need to install a rudder as both hands would be occupied with the kite.

zzippy2.gif