Sailing

Simon Everett

looks like its a good signal for other boats too :D

but for 185 squids im sure we can knock up something better specialy snce a lot of ppl are weathered of the water at the moment

so it would be a laugh to see ppl come up with some plans on a paint doc or maybe knock up a prototype something amusing or serious to pass the time :D

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmm.... just what I need for that channel crossing idea. Ta for that, very interesting.

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

When are you going across the channel the Moonyak? I'll happily come across with you. Trying to set up a trip across the Irish Sea too....just a matter of logistics at the moment. I would probably use the Duo for that one as it is about 60 miles.....the delta rig will give a huge amount of assisted travelling.

You might have been joking - but I am serious!

Likewise, anyone got any info on that kayak "race" on loch Linne that Spanner was talking about?

For knocking up something yourselves - yes no bother. Poles sourced from a moulding company that does them for anther application - think what constant diameter carbon or GRP poles might be used for...that would be where to go for them.

Rigging is nothing more than about 10 feet of 8mm bungy shock cord - easily found at chandlers on a reel.

Sheets are just mm cord lines - 6mm dyneema would be ideal.

Snaps are the same as you get in any chandler and just like you have used on anchor hauls...5 of them.

Jamming cleats just float free on the sheets between the snaps.

The bit you will need to play about with is the mast step - the foot is rounded on the bottom to allow them to roll, so the masts can be brought down. I suppose you could make those out of wood and stick the mast into holes drilled to take them....the base of the mast is just lashed with a strap to the side rigging. It doesn't have to be rigid because it needs some movement.

Look forward to seeing some of your creations. The sail is the easiest bit - old parachute for about £10 cut to shape and sewn on your missus sewing machine.

Good luck!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I'm interested in this sail as for where I paddle it could come in very handy. We have a prevailing SW wind down here - a downwind sail would help get me back from 'offshore kayak fishing marks' such as outer Poole Patch and Christchurch Ledge. Could also use it to get back from the Needles.

I got a reply back from Pacific Action already.

If I order direct from their 'factory' I can get a custom colour scheme and get the next size up for a similar price or perhaps less depending on import tax charges this side.

For the Scupper Pro they recommend the next size up (PA_MO15) to the one I think Simon reviewed - they will do a custom yellow one with clear panel at the bottom for $NZ 420 including shipping (they charge an extra £6.60 for the all yellow) which works out at £138 before any import taxes I may incur. The smaller one is $NZ 350 which works out about £115 before taxes.

http://www.pacificaction.com/pricelist.htm

Tempting.. if it works out I could sell the trolling motor..if not put it on ebay....

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

This stuff might do the trick:

http://www.kiteworks.co.uk/Spars.shtml

Not sure just how thin you could go, but the load will not be that big and carbon fibre tube will be strong, so the 10mm x 1.65m tubes would certainly do ... £14 each.

Simon,

It was Neil that mention the Widerness race, not me, but this is what you are looking for :)

http://www.aceraces.co.uk/wildernessarc/2005images.htm

Edited by spanner

Great topic guy's and some great info.

I recieved my rudder system for the tarpon the weekend and just started to fit it. I have had a look at some sail rig's but they seem a bit pricey to me, time to try and build one I think.

Happy day's :thumbs::thumbs:

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hi Simon

Channel Crossing idea was not entirely in jest.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...hannel+crossing

The sail should certainly assist such a crossing. No date planned as yet but I still think that this needs to be done and glad to hear that you might be up for it too.

As for Ireland; for now I will continue to take the Swansea-Cork Ferry but that certainly sounds like a true adventure.

A bit more research on the Channel Crossing idea is needed.

Regards

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)