back leads

here I will have to make a scenario I suppose, last week I fished a very hard water, two of my reels I have braid as a main line, the other reel mono.

The only rod i landed a fish on was the mono, using a free running rig, on both the braid rods i used a fixed rig.

one chap at the water suggested i use back lead.

I have never used back leads so hence the question.

The water i fish is massive, and goes from 1m to 32m pretty quickly. i have mapped the swim I fish so i know I am fishing a ledge at 8m.

Any help???

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here I will have to make a scenario I suppose, last week I fished a very hard water, two of my reels I have braid as a main line, the other reel mono.

The only rod i landed a fish on was the mono, using a free running rig, on both the braid rods i used a fixed rig.

one chap at the water suggested i use back lead.

I have never used back leads so hence the question.

The water i fish is massive, and goes from 1m to 32m pretty quickly. i have mapped the swim I fish so i know I am fishing a ledge at 8m.

Any help???

The obvious suggestion would be to fish all three rods the same, i.e. the same as the catching rig / setup. I would bet it's nothing to do with backleads but more the running lead v fixed lead.

I don't like back leads and will only use them rarely, at close range when then will otherwise be a very obvious sharp angle in the line down to the lead.

I would never use them in weed or at longer distances.

Rob.

The obvious suggestion would be to fish all three rods the same, i.e. the same as the catching rig / setup. I would bet it's nothing to do with backleads but more the running lead v fixed lead.

I don't like back leads and will only use them rarely, at close range when then will otherwise be a very obvious sharp angle in the line down to the lead.

I would never use them in weed or at longer distances.

Rob.

I agree Rob

Not too keen on backleads myself, only use them when margin fishing and if there is no weed

Back leads have a variety of uses, they pin your line/s down on the bottom, either close in using a tethered type, or at distance, as with a flying backlead.

Used close in, they keep the lines free of drifting weed and debri, they stop the rod tips being blown about and transmitting vibrations to the baits, and prevent swans etc swimming into your lines.

A heavy backlead (above an ounce) serves the purpose of a bobbin, in that it keeps contact as a fish moves off, it acts rather like a bobbin on a long drop.

Weed is no problem unless it is so close that you couldn't sink the line anyway.

I fished three rods yesterday in a gale and using tethered backleads the rod tops stayed almost completely still and I only had one bleep all day except when I had a run.

Versatality is what successful fishing is about, always and never don't come in to it, there are times when backleading gives you a distinct advantage but equally times when you can do without them, but if you haven't got some in your tackle box you are sometimes at a distinct disadvantage.

Borntofish, in your case I would use a backlead as the thought of that line angling down to the bait would worry me that it is spooking the fish.

Rob, I have a couple of mates who never use backleads, but a lot more who use them all the time, I use them when the need arises.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Borntofish, By the limited description of your water, it sounds like a Gravel pit you're fishing. If this is the case, there is a couple of points worth considering.

Is it a reasonably smooth bottam you're fishing on, & is it a clear water?

If it's not smooth but strewn with various sizes of gravel & rocks, you may have a problem with a backlead. At the moment, I'm fishing such a water & a close in backlead greatly increases my chances of being caught in amongst the Rubble. The answer was a flying backlead (ala Dens post) but set to around 8' behind the weight. Still occasionally feel it get caught but it's minimal compared to the close in backlead & the fish can mooch around the bait without touching the line.

Fishing reasonably close as you are in possibly clear water, I share Dens fear of spooking fish, for me it's a real possibility. My answer to that, is to slackline the swim. Its much more delicate than a backlead at close quarters.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I use them all the time, for the reasons above but the main reason is that when i'm playing a fish i don't have to worry about it crossing my other line as it is pinned to the bottom and also so the line don't sppok any wary fish.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Use slack lines in the edge with running leads - far better than backleads and much more sensitive (test it and see). Also flying backleads are known to damage the line if they are not perfectly smooth, or trap a bit of grit or weed. In the case of weed they can jam up - and the time you find that out is at the tip ring probably with a fish on the end. I have experienced all of these problems which is why I will never use flying backleads and rarely use ordinary backleads.

Use them if you want to but think around the problems and see what other solutions there may be. It's quite likely that alternatives may be better and easier to use (this doesn't just apply to backleads).

Rob.

What do you do if your line is pulled out tight by undertow? or if you are using braid? Or the fish are spooked by lines up in the water?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

What do you do if your line is pulled out tight by undertow? or if you are using braid? Or the fish are spooked by lines up in the water?

Den

But how do you know any of that is happening ? Simple answer is you don't. Undertow doesn't pull line of the bottom - mono is denser than water, it therefore flattens at the business end. If undertow was pulling the line up so much to be a problem you'd need a heck of a lot more than either a backlead or tiny flying backlead. As for braid I never use it in the UK so it's not an issue. If braid loops up (as it often will do because most brands float) - then switch to mono as it sinks (see above). And what lines up in the water are they ? - see the first point. If you're in shallow water then fish slack lines / running leads.

I'm not suggesting these are the only answers, far from it, they are however how I would personally overcome such problems. At the end of the day do what you have confidence in and what puts fish on the bank. My suggestions fulfill both those criteria for me - they may not for everyone else but just think around the problems.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

Well, there you have it borntofish. Very different answers from very experienced anglers. That usually indicates you are best off doing what makes sense to you on your water with your rigs.

I don't have nearly the carping or backleading experience of the folks who have responded but I have fished lots of styles on lots of waters for a good number of years and I'd have to suggest that you try different ways and see which suits you. I really don't think there is any absolute in this particular case.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President