Write to your MP to Save British Bass

Anglers' Net

The Angling Trust has this week urged anglers to flood MPs' offices with thousands of letters and emails pressing parliamentarians to raise the bass conservation issues with the Fisheries Ministers in both Westminster and the Welsh Assembly Government.

Click here to view the full article. Please reply below to add your comments, if any.

Try our newTackle & Bait Finder
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fishingtackle/

Grab yourself an amazing bargain at http://www.cheap-bargains.co.uk/

USING THE LINKS ABOVE IS A WAY THAT YOU CAN HELP KEEP ANGLERS' NET FREE!

Ohhh dear, reading the link by TAT I have to ask anyone wishing to send a letter to your m p to consider the bigger picture. What advice

and even the template letter that TAT have drafted for you contains cherry picked comments and facts to suit their agenda of wishing to see either TAT's style of management on the stock or impose the southern irish model, where complete commercial ban take would be right where the selfish narrow minded TAT wishes to be. The irish rsa fishery is not all it cracks up to be, far from it, the claim is after 15 years that the fishery is far better with twice the size bass fish being landed by the rsa. That is an untruth. To the extent that for two or three years the irish bass fishery specimen fish list, each year reports one or two fish up to 17lb, while the rest of the 'specimen' fish are around 12lb. Last winter btw, there was a 19lb der caught on Dungeness beach behind.......... the commercial fishing boats, no less.

Worse, the irish are looking again at their fishery and are disappointed that the 15 year ban hasn't produced the goods, more and bigger fish so are looking to cut the allowance landed by the rsa to just one fish. The rest have to go back even if they are deep hooked and bleeding from the gills. Yes send them back dead.

Of course that won't fix the problem, far from it. The only fix that could achieve the short term shortfall is a drastic cut by the offshore fleets concentrating on the spawning stock each winter. No, what TAT and their mates BASS and co want is a dramatic cut by the uk inshore guys on the netting etc. I promise you, there has been no dramatic increase in the u k take, so any reductions will just not fix it. Worse, below is a letter from a typical but very brave inshore commercial guy, apart from giving up his limbs for the country, sorry BEN I had to include that, he is also facing enormous cuts to his lively hood caused by fishing fleets outside of the ifca's control, yet it will have a dramatic effect on his life and his co workers lives. Yet, that ain't good enough for TAT, they want more. I could carry on and write a book about how far TAT is off the mark with regards to getting it right, but I will leave it to Ben to get an even more salient point across. Thanks for keeping us safe Ben about time some others showed you some gratitude my friend.

LETTER TO THE MMO

Good morning

My names Ben stoten and I'm based up at Newhaven eastsussex.

I'm sure by now you have had tons of emails and calls regarding the current madness that is the under 10m fish

allocation for the back end if this quarter but I'm going to add my 2pence worth anyway.

I spent 9 years in the army prior to that I was a fisherman, sadly during my time in the army I was severely

injured in Afghanistan losing both my limbs,how ever with full rehab I'm now fully mobile again using prosthetic

legs and decided to go back to the job I know and love which is fishing. I currently own and operate with a

crew a small quarter boat or punt as they are referred to. How ever I have made the commitment to my chosen

career and indeed the fishing industry by purchasing a new build 10m Sutton cat at as you can imagine at some

considerable expense, as your aware with the boat comes all the gear and moorings that go with it also.

However I find myself questioning the judgement to do this when I get emails on a weekly basis telling me I

can now no longer fish for skate the remainder of the winter, then I get another telling me I can no longer

catch plaice for the foreseeable future which is utter madness at a time when you can't move for plaice off

Our shoreline at the minute and they are all thick prime plaice which by the time they re-open again will be

skinny and almost see through and pointless fishing on.

Then to top it off completely or as some have said "twist the knife" our cod quota for the quarter has been

slashed as well from 400kg to 200kg even less once you deduct the appropriate weight for head and guts. So how

is a small boat supposed to go out at this time of year and catch just Dover sole with nothing else in the net???

And to earn a living off of that how much sole am I going to have to catch if I cannot subsidise it with other

species??? If you know of a way then please tell because short of becoming a spear fisherman I can't be that

selective in what I catch!

We also hear from various sources that the French have only used 28% of there skate quota to date, which is

also considerable more that our own quota even though they fish in the "English channel"

When are we as an industry going to get the support we need and what is going to be done to make sure the fisherman

can at least have a half sensible christmas without having to worry about cuts left right and centre, as last

year with all the storms and severe weather and gear damage it wasn't exactly tearing to say the least.

Look forward to a response all though I suspect it will be a copy and paste job but such is life.

A concerned fisherman

Ben stoten

Edited by barry luxton
  • Like 1

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Although the Angling Trust haven't publicly stated their targets regarding imposing restrictions on bass anglers, They are making noises regarding increasing the MLS (a good idea in my opinion, as long as all EU commercials follow the same route and minimum mesh size is increased accordingly to reduce discards),and the two fish bag limit that Ireland currently has and, as Barry so rightly says is likely to be reduced to a one bag limit (anecdotal evidence is pointing the finger squarely at bass "guides" for the decline of bass in some estuaries in Ireland!).

The EU has just released proposals for a one bag bass limit for RSA. Obviously this would over-rule any UK two bag limit and, the EAA are opposed to the one bag limit and only recommending an increase in MLS (to 42cm from 36cm) initially.

So, now we have the AT asking for more than the EU are asking for but less than the EAA are asking for....and the AT are members of the EAA.....I made a comment on the EAA Facebook page and, before it was deleted (I quoted facts) they replied by saying that non AT anglers should get organised if they wanted to be heard.....Hmm, pot, kettle, black etc. by the look of it when different factions of the same organisation are saying different things!....And, also evidence that our "representative bodies" are not really concerned with anglers if we don't give money to organisations that we don't agree with, and, more to the point, won't listen to us anyway because they are a business and as Mike Heylin (ex chairman of AT and now up in the lofty echelons of the EAA) said, a few years ago about the AT:

"It may not suit your purposes but the board is charged in law with running this business and the board has to take priority over members when strategic decisions are being made. Proposals can only be presented to members for discussion once the board has decided that those proposals are suitable for our purpose. Members, no matter how well informed, cannot possibly decide strategic matters since they have no responsibility for the impacts of the decision on the business. Only the board can do that.......

.............I think I said that you should not confuse Angling Trust Ltd with a "democratic" angling club, governed outside company law. AT is a company and as directors we have responsibilities in law to its effective running."

Oh well, my view is, that if we are to write to our MP we ignore Salter's unscientific drivel (he has gone out of his way to manipulate the figures he has presented) and suggest an increase in MLS AS LONG AS ALL EU COMMERCIALS HAVE THE SAME MLS AND THE NET MESH SIZE IS INCREASED ACCORDINGLY. Also, a total ban on pair trawling. I didn't mean to shout but the latter part is most important to prevent discards and to make any difference to the potential overall increase in stock levels and spawning fish size...if the stock biomass is actually as bad as some of the reports estimate it to be!

Edited by Worms
  • Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

That's a dynamite posting there Nick, just about sums up their arrogance while using their claim that they represent all anglers, yer right, only if it suits them and their self serving wages bill.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Ahh, thanks for the heads up Nick, good news from TAT and salter, no need for their proposed 80% ban on anglers, i.e. one fish per day, they have now just announced the good news straight from salters gob that it should be 2-3 fish per day instead. Bad news is that they have kept it rather quiet from normal anglers and angling sites as they thought it would be more appropriate to announce it within the Times newspaper first and foremost.

This is no doubt on the back of comments from their europeon chums the EAA who don't like the idea of Europe proposing one fish a day on anglers.

This is the style of their secret negotiations that all rsa whom they claim to rep are being treated. It's a sham and a bloody disgrace.

Edited by barry luxton

no need for their proposed 80% ban on anglers,

No Barry? They're still pushing the petition on their Facebook page...22nd October....they've crammed in a load of waffle to push it down the page!

And, in the papers, the Truss are disputing the estimate of a third of all UK bass being taken by RSA....odd that, they used those very figures as evidence to push their bass campaign and angling restrictions when they linked in the ICES and STECF reports!

They're not so much back pedalling as have fallen off the bike, got their trousers caught in the chain and the handlebars are stuck up their collective @rse...You can bet your best fishing boots though Barry, Smarmy Salter will back out of the bushes with an "I told you so, look what we've done to protect angling"!

Edited by Worms
  • Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Bloody hell. That ought to have been the AT's suicide note.

Yep!

I bet it isn't though.....Lloyd, Salter and co. won't be happy until they've completed their takeover of all angling in England, by restriction...with only 15,000 members and there's not a lot to stop them!

Yep!

I bet it isn't though.....Lloyd, Salter and co. won't be happy until they've completed their takeover of all angling in England, by restriction...with only 15,000 members and there's not a lot to stop them!

15,000, is that the membership now Nick? I haven't seen any recent figures, they don't seem keen on publishing them. If I remember right, they wanted about 10,000 after the first year! That should have told them something they didn't want to hear.

Quite a few of us on here saw the writing on the wall when they first started, (is it 5 years now?), but sadly it wasn't the same around the angling world, I still meet up with anglers who have no idea that the ATr exists, never mind what it stands for! Mind you, I'm not sure the ATr knows what it stands for either.

John,

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

their money ins and out is very interesting reading, wages and pension bill, just over one million, for that the rsa get one part time angling rep on their books, who's agenda first and foremost is siding up to the green orgs like the MCS for example, and woe betide anyone who disagrees with that. amazing, the exe's look interesting for comment and one that sticks out for me is 19k went to pay the EAA. Errm that anglers subscriptions going into an entity that no angler what so ever gave permission to join, be part of or have anything to do with concerning anglers, they just went and did it for whatever reason that suited themselves without consultation or informing any angler what so ever.

Important Information

We and our partners use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences, repeat visits and to show you personalised advertisements. By clicking “I Agree”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. However, you may visit Cookie Settings to provide a controlled consent.