Silva S12 just arrived

kennosen

So I ordered this bit of kit and it turned up today. Flicking through the manual it says to expect around 300 recharges? that sounds rather poor to me, or am I getting senile.

Where would one get a replacement battery anyway, theres screws to acces the guts of it, but its also half covered in rubber (oo er missus), dont know if its user serviceable.

You will probably have to get the battery direct from Silva.

300 hours, 7 hours a trip, 4 trips a month, you'll get about 10 months out of it, your right doesn't sound a lot when you work it out... going to have a look at my Entel, see how it compares.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

So I ordered this bit of kit and it turned up today. Flicking through the manual it says to expect around 300 recharges? that sounds rather poor to me, or am I getting senile.

Where would one get a replacement battery anyway, theres screws to acces the guts of it, but its also half covered in rubber (oo er missus), dont know if its user serviceable.

Ummmmm :huh: Whats a silva s12???????

zzippy2.gif

replacement batterys from here www.cactusnav.com

Silva M198/298/S12 £19.95

go to the price list and do a search on Silva and you will see it

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Ignore the quoted usage times they put that to cover their a$$ in case you get a duff battery (plus they would like you to return it for a refurbish battery wouldn't they?? ha ha). Even with NiCad batteries you will get a much longer usage than they quote, and even then its just the charge holding time that fails!. I use vhf handsets in my work every day and the main thing to remember is : GIVE IT A FULL CHARGE FOR ITS FIRST TIME!!!!!. This really does make a world of difference, even on mobile phones. Also let the the batteries drain completely by leaving it on when near its end of charge, or use a discharger (you can even make one if you can get to the battery terminals) by usuing a series of torch bulbs in series to the same ampage.

It should give you years of service mate :):)

All the best~~~SDD~~~~ :sun:

replacement batterys from here www.cactusnav.com

Silva M198/298/S12 £19.95

go to the price list and do a search on Silva and you will see it

Thanks for that, I'm happier now I know I can get another battery. Warranty would be voided if I do it myself, but I dont mind that.

cheers

Ignore the quoted usage times they put that to cover their a$$ in case you get a duff battery (plus they would like you to return it for a refurbish battery wouldn't they?? ha ha). Even with NiCad batteries you will get a much longer usage than they quote, and even then its just the charge holding time that fails!. I use vhf handsets in my work every day and the main thing to remember is : GIVE IT A FULL CHARGE FOR ITS FIRST TIME!!!!!. This really does make a world of difference, even on mobile phones. Also let the the batteries drain completely by leaving it on when near its end of charge, or use a discharger (you can even make one if you can get to the battery terminals) by usuing a series of torch bulbs in series to the same ampage.

p.s.

we're ALL getting senile!, it's all about to what extent :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Cheers SDD, I'm even more happy now. :)