TOWYN TOPE TRIP TODAY

Martin Hurst

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right here goes!! It was with a great deal of apprehension that I joined Phooey and Nifty this morning for a bash at the Tope on the sarn badrig reef. We launched two hours before High water from Tywyn and after a strenous 3/4 mile paddle hit the reef. There was a fair bit of swell over the reef , I wasnt expecting that!! However when we reached the 25ft depth mark it eased slightly but you'd never say it was a comfortable days fishing! I had three runs after quiet couple of hours and missed them all , perhaps given what was to come they were Huss. nifty was being plagued by Dogs on his half mackeral and phooey persevered on a full bait. I played around with some baited feathers and had a big weever and a very good Garfish.

With little happening we moved further onto the reef and almost immediately Phooey got off the mark with a 30lber. Myself and Nifty were now catching Huss when Phooey hooked up again. One minute he was 30 yards away the next heading for the horizon and just about out of sight (he'd disconnected from his anchor!) We were a little concerned but then I had a storming run and this time I was about to break my Toping cherry!! A near 30 minute battle ensued with Nifty shouting encouragment (I guess I clearly looked terrified)

The fish eventually surfaced next to the Prowler and I decided to release it in the water. However with more encouragment from the maestro it came aboard but not before making a chomp for my leg!! At around 40lbs It was well worth the undoubted fear factor!! Phooey then appeared paddling back over the horizon looking rather wet. He'd taken a dunkin but landed another fish estimated at 60lb.

Nifty and Phooey will post the pictures later , they are staying for another bash tommorro. :)

Ok Prowler 13

Well done to you all----I think you'll agree Martin there's no stopping our Phooey!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Well done guys! Lets see them then!

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

for anyone coming next week make sure you bring spare Anchors and warp. I cut myself free late on , a few quid lost but far better than the alternative :(

Ok Prowler 13

Well done to you all, looking forward to the pictures.

With regard to the anchors, worth taking a few I would say and spare anchor line, there is a small kayak/camping store in Aberdovey if you get stuck but they don't stock much, not sure they had any anchors when we were up there.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Good stuff guys :thumbs:

Mind that with the addition of a small float you can always tie-off your anchor cord in such a way that you can quickly release it if necessary... much better than cutting. I think there was a discussion about that on the skate trip thread.

Also if you do release the anchor to go for a fish powered ski then deploying a drogue will increase the drag and tire the fish quicker, so hopefully you wont be over the horizon by the end of it :)

Edited by spanner