What's Going On out There?

See ICES report showing what happened in the North Sea in the last quarter.

http://www.ices.dk/marineworld/norsepp.asp

Now does that tie in with any of your observations or go some way to explaining what you know has happened regarding fish behaviour etc?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Not sure Whats going on in SW Scotland. The mackerel and tope were on time but the general fishing ie Cod, Haddock and flatties are late.

Despite the temp. being one degree colder than normal we had our first ever Garfish today which is surely a sign of global warming.

:clap2: We've had gars for over a month and the water temperature is still low for the time of year. :clap2:

Not sure Whats going on in SW Scotland. The mackerel and tope were on time but the general fishing ie Cod, Haddock and flatties are late.

Despite the temp. being one degree colder than normal we had our first ever Garfish today which is surely a sign of global warming.

So the question is, if the Mackerel and tope were on time and the gars are showing early, why is it that the cod, haddock and flats haven't shown? Is it that they are late or are they depleted in numbers such that much less are being caught and hence they are regarded as late? Get ready for the onslaught...

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Maybe some fish migrate and return due to daylight hours, and some by water temperature? Maybe it is down to what they eat, and whether that food is more readily available when warmer, and not when there is more daylight?

Good point Damo. I spoke to an eminent marine biologist about our shore crabs and the moult. He explained it had little to do with water temperature as they will moult several times a year, what seems to trigger the spring moult is the longer days and a breeding urge. I know it works for other animals too, my chickens lay much more in the summer months when the days are long.

Edited by Holmesy

Up here in Western Isles of Scotland - most things seem to be on time, although the waters around us are on average 1 to 2 degrees down on last year I hear.

From the boat - the Haddock are here in the good numbers we usually anticepate, Cod are showing so far at possibly a slightly higher number than usual, and all the usual other species we get from the boat are around .... from the shore resident flats and Rays have been around since February, though the Mackerel and Herring in my eyes have not turned up "yet" in the abundant numbers that I would expect both from shore and boat - the next two weeks should be a good indicator.

From the boat as it is usually up here every year with the marks we regularly fish from the boat, there is not to much fish in 10 to 18 fathoms yet ... they just have not came in yet from the deeper water - I'd expect more of then closer in over the coming weeks - where as the fishing in 30 fathoms - 2 miles offshore there is very good numebrs of fish.

Over the past month one thing I have noticed there has been a massive increase in the number of juvenile Codling caught ranging from 20cm to 30cm, so much so they have been a pest ... thankfully, they seem to swim back pretty well.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com