Well done Tesco

Mikec

Hi Wurzle,

Is the above value because of the quotas you own?

Hello Ken

being under ten meters I don't own any quota.

It's to do with the horse power and tonnage, being under ten meters, having 157 KW (210 hp) and 17 tonne makes it a sort after licence, the shell fish entitlement has added another £5000 recently.

I never made the rules, it makes it very hard and expensive for anyone to get in to the job, I will probably hand it down to no 1 son.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ken

being under ten meters I don't own any quota.

It's to do with the horse power and tonnage, being under ten meters, having 157 KW (210 hp) and 17 tonne makes it a sort after licence, the shell fish entitlement has added another £5000 recently.

I never made the rules, it makes it very hard and expensive for anyone to get in to the job, I will probably hand it down to no 1 son.

What actually governs what you catch Wurzle if you don't have a quota ?

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

What actually governs what you catch Wurzle if you don't have a quota ?

Hello Ken

we now have a small monthly quota given to us by the government, until recently the under ten meter fleet could more or less catch what it could, which is what a small boat needs.

The rules on the under 10 metres not having to declare landings etc were based on the number of boats being used that were under 10 metres and their relative inefficiency in fishing.

eg "So, as a sector they can't catch much (relatively), so let's not bother with an expensive beauracy".

What they didn't realise was that they were creating a market niche for boat builders.

Let's build under 10 metre boats that have the capacity to catch a lot more fish, jamming in power, electronics etc.

The same thing has happened with under 15s

(many a slightly larger vessel has also been shortened to get it under the limits)

They are termed 'rule busters'!!

And so the total catching power of the under 15s and under 10s sectors has increased as people have moved down in length to get below the size where some restrictions no longer apply.

Unfortunately for people like Wurzel who (I assume) still fish the traditional under 10s, that means more restrictions are coming into place on under-10s as the rule makers play catch up with the 'rule busters'.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The rules on the under 10 metres not having to declare landings etc were based on the number of boats being used that were under 10 metres and their relative inefficiency in fishing.

eg "So, as a sector they can't catch much (relatively), so let's not bother with an expensive beauracy".

What they didn't realise was that they were creating a market niche for boat builders.

Let's build under 10 metre boats that have the capacity to catch a lot more fish, jamming in power, electronics etc.

The same thing has happened with under 15s

(many a slightly larger vessel has also been shortened to get it under the limits)

They are termed 'rule busters'!!

And so the total catching power of the under 15s and under 10s sectors has increased as people have moved down in length to get below the size where some restrictions no longer apply.

Unfortunately for people like Wurzel who (I assume) still fish the traditional under 10s, that means more restrictions are coming into place on under-10s as the rule makers play catch up with the 'rule busters'.

People do what they can to survive. My boat luckely just made it under when they brought in the licences.

As yet I can still catch all the bass I can.

People do what they can to survive. My boat luckely just made it under when they brought in the licences.

As yet I can still catch all the bass I can.

Only 5 ton a week wurzel, then kick the rest over the side!