drill and rivett!

Martin Hurst

Was not happy with my anchor trolley on the recent trip to Wales , it slipped on a number of occassions in the locking cleat. Have decided to follow the anglersafloat version (mark 2!) and fit two locking cleats. As a DIY numpty is there an online guide to this riveting lark and what is required!! :huh:

Ok Prowler 13

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick with the rivets Martin, they are very secure.

I would mark and drill the first hole, pop the rivet in through the cleat and hole you have just drilled. Align the cleat as required and drill through the hole of the cleat into the kayak, this way the cleat will sit neatly on the kayak, the rivets will be sat neatly against the cleat. Remove the fittings, clean up the holes add a dab of silicone and then fix properly. Piece of cake and the MARK 2! version works very well indeed, no slippage at all.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Martin

Until last year I'd never seen let alone used a rivet gun. Halfords sell a rivet gun kit for about £12 thats what I use. The kit comes with a few rivets (not suitable for kayaks) but you could use a few to practice on old bits of plastic first .The rivets suitable for kayak use can be a bit tricky to get hold of in the UK and when you do they are often overpriced. I think a few of us have bought them in from the US which work out cheaper.

Klamptite rivets are the ones to get.

I think it works out quite cheap if you order them from here.

Hook 1 - Kayak Fishing Gear

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

If you hang fire until you come to next meet in a couple of weeks we can do it there - I said I had the gear with me but you didn't say anything and I couldn't remember who it was that wanted to rig the thing!

I have a bag of kayak rivets here and the silicon.

On the other hand - i have never found a ned for a clam cleat. I just use the anchor line to grip the out haul and it never slips. Just tie the anchor line off around the haul line and the saddle eye. Solid as a rock. I tie off with a bight and just tie the first half of a highwayman's hitch. That way it holds on the anchor end, but a quick tug from my end and it comes undone. Very simple - like me!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Think it was paintfly Simon , just found that my system let me down occassionally!

Yeah it was me, and I was prepared for the possibility that it wasn't going to happen this w/e. No probs - next time. At the moment I'm just making loops in my warp and hooking into the krab, works OK, but not ideal and eventually I'll end up with about 5m. of loops :D Like the sound of your simple system, Simon. Maybe I'll have a look at that first before I go drilling holes. You'll have to teach me the knots though, they're not my strong point.

Great reports from everyone :thumbs:

What happened to nifty's photos?

Specimen, how do you post so many large photos in one post? Are you using a host site or the gallery or what? Idiot proof guide please when you've got a moment -Ta.

Yeah it was me, and I was prepared for the possibility that it wasn't going to happen this w/e. No probs - next time. At the moment I'm just making loops in my warp and hooking into the krab, works OK, but not ideal and eventually I'll end up with about 5m. of loops :D Like the sound of your simple system, Simon. Maybe I'll have a look at that first before I go drilling holes. You'll have to teach me the knots though, they're not my strong point.

Great reports from everyone :thumbs:

What happened to nifty's photos?

Specimen, how do you post so many large photos in one post? Are you using a host site or the gallery or what? Idiot proof guide please when you've got a moment -Ta.

Hiya Paintfly.

I dont know if Specimen does the same as me!

But I use a host site.I do my post add a picture then post it.If I have lots to post,i will keep pressing 'add reply' that way it just adds more pics to your first post.

I dont know if thats the right way of doing it.But that is what I do :lol:

zzippy2.gif