River Carp are more of an achievement?

Why is it a given assumption that any lake is a hole filled with pet fish?

Some lakes are more wilderness-like than many rivers.

Some of them are Elton. Its not really the environment that puts me off, its the catching 'pet' fish bit that leaves me cold. I don't want to catch a fish that has a name. Anyway I'm not to post any more in this thread. I always feel a wee bit out of my environment posting in this topic.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally accept your point Corydoras - if you wouldn't enjoy it I agree wholeheartedly that it would be pointless. However, until I passed my driving test 2 years ago (at the ripe old age of 35!!) I was very limited in the choice of venues I could get to easily. Locally - a stone's throw from Tower Bridge - are some docks that are rectangles of concrete, devoid of anything remotely resembling "features" and about 75 feet deep in the middle! I don't fish them anymore since I can now drive to venues that I enjoy more, but they did provide me with many hours good fishing and were one hell of a challenge too! I've seen carp in there that I reckon are 40's but the biggest to have been caught to date is just over thirty. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, whilst I know I will never fish there again, it did serve a purpose at one time. Better to fish there than stay at home - you can't catch them indoors! :lol::lol::D

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

... the reason I posted this on the carp forum was too see if I could generate a discussion about River Carp meaning more than hand reared pigs!

If that was genuinely the intention, then fine, but intimating that all carp anglers “Turn up with a ton of bait, sit on rods for 5 days, etc, etc, etc…” won’t do you any favours.

It’s all personal. Some people just want to catch, and we don’t all have the same skill levels or opportunities to fish, so why shouldn’t people want to fish easier or more accessible waters? I don’t have a problem with those who want to catch fish irrespective of the level of skill required, and if they are happy doing so, then good luck to them, they are still fishing and I’d much rather they were doing that than stuck at home watching Big Brother (or robbing my house!).

For me (and I would say the same goes for a great many posters on this forum) the challenge is everything – but to assume that river carp are somehow harder to catch than Stillwater carp is a bit of a sweeping statement, and one that’s far from the truth. Some of the Stillwaters I fish are very low stocked waters with a million and one problems to overcome before you can even think about catching a carp, and far from being hand-reared pigs, they are often spawned on fish from original Leney stockings – so to answer your ‘question’; no, river carp don’t rate higher than Stillwater carp, each case has to be taken on it’s merits and the level of skill that was required to catch the fish has to be factored in.

For example, I’m currently targeting some canal carp. I’ve not wet a line yet, but I’ve been walking various stretches three or four times a week for hours at a time since March in order to try and find the fish, as there are literally only a handful of carp in the whole system and nobody fishes it. Last week I finally spotted a carp and had I of had my kit with me, I reckon I could have banked it in less than 30 seconds such was it’s confidence in taking the bait I was feeding it, so it would have been extremely easy to catch, but it would have been the finding of the fish in the first place that equated to the ‘skill’ in terms of banking that particular fish.

Likewise, on one Stillwater I fish there was one lump I was after for years – I lost track of the amount of times it toyed with me and taunted me. It took nearly six years to finally outwit it (and far from being caught 1000’s of times I only know of one prior capture) but that capture will go down as one of my finest angling hours - but you reckon that if I nipped down to the River Churnet on the 16th to whip out a little mirror on the quiver within an hour, that that fish would automatically outrank it?

Somehow I don’t think so.

With Respect,

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Hmmm, interesting. Why do we fish for carp, because they are beautiful fish, because they are not always easy targets. and because they fight like billy ho...... each to there own, but no need to denegrate peoples chosen target species, key word being.....choice....

So you're a different breamagain from this breamagain?

Davy - it does not appear to be the same person. Completely different ISP, name, etc.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

So you're a different breamagain form this breamagain?

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showuser=5514

Or are you bream againagain? :blink:

At first i thought it was Breamagain,untill you pointed out that Breamagain was not Breamagain but another Breamagain,however your question as to whether Breamagain is the original Breamagain or a new Breamagain has me thinking if he is not the original Breamagin does the original Brreamagain know that this Breamagain is using Breamagain's handle.

Its all !!! to me. :):):)

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Well said Julian - exactly what I was trying to get at :clap:

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

One of my targets this year is a carp from the upper Thames. The main problem here will undoubtedly be location. If I can find them, I'm sure I can catch them.

However, on a new club lake (c. 11 acres, lots of topographical features, very weedy, deep, very clear water, lots of natural food) I'll be fishing, location is easy - it's the catching that's tricky!

I think what you meant was carp fishing at commercial-type lakes, and I'll agree with you there. But I'd say in general river carp are easier to catch, if you can find them. But, like you, I get no pleasure from dragging carp out of overstocked puddles.

Incidentally, I've had a good tip-off about Thames carp so I'm getting VERY excited about the coming season! I don't care what size they are - it's all in the challenge. :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

go for it anderoo,

i too am thinking about targetting some tidal river carp,i have seen a small group of them all commons bar one mirror they were i would guess between 8 and 20 pounds,i rekon they will fight like demons in the flow,sounds like a challenge! the river lea through hackney and tottenham holds some absolutely massive carp(40+ caught),fishing these areas is not for the faint hearted tho so any from there i rate highly!

gonna have a go at some drain carp in teh fens with soem mates too,one had two 20s in a overnight session last year.

bring on the summer!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!