River Carp are more of an achievement?

I fish the Thames a lot for Carp and I love it - but don't forget that most river Carp are fish that have escaped from lakes in the first place.

Which bit of the Thames - I've been trying all week and just can't find the buggers! Fishing just outside Reading in Caversham.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fish the Thames a lot for Carp and I love it - but don't forget that most river Carp are fish that have escaped from lakes in the first place.
But the Lake Carp are from a river species that at some point was moved to lakes to make them an easier food supply.

Carp deal really well with river conditions and the ones who are river bred or long-term river residents (so they have good muscle tone) handle swift current as well as any trout.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Carp fishing is all too easy nowadays...... Turn up, a ton of bait, sit on your rods for 5 days and wait for your self hooking rigs to let your bite alarms know that you can get out of your sleeping bag and reel in a 'pastie'...

You're fishing the wrong venues, mate. More importantly, you're using your experience of a crap venue as the basis for your opinion on 'carp fishing'.

There are good lakes and bad. Try fishing some good ones rather than making such sweeping statements.

Do a search for 'Wingham' on here and you'll see what a proper carp lake can offer.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Terry - I'm guessing that Again!!! has decided to leave us since we has the bad taste to not agree with him.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

oh great, I've been researching these carp and checking out the different species.

Now I'm confused. I dont know what I'm fishing for now. They're either Grass or River Carp. For a while I was pretty sure they were Grass but now I'm not sure. Perhaps my method has been wrong this entire time

-_-

kozak - if you give some idea of where you live & fish, it will be lots easier to try and figure out what sort of fish.

Note that 'river carp' are simply carp that live in a river rather than a lake.

Take a look at this web site to get more info on the usual species that are often just called "carp". The web site is in Iowa but they cover the main species you will find in the US.

Common carp (Cyprinus carpio) are mainly what the UK folks fish for. Easy to spot since they body shape is unusual and Cyprinus carpio have whiskers (smaller than those on a catfish though). If you see talk on here about Mirror carp and Leather carp, they are Cyprinus carpio but with very different scale patterns. We do have some mirror carp but in most places they are really rare.

You don't see many anglers fishing canals and rivers for carp any more. Near where I live most of the carp have died on the Trent and Mersey canal and the River Weaver and now you see most of them fishing commercials e.g Brookside fisheries Snake 2 you just fish up in the water and watch your elastic go out of your pole thats it.But I will keep trying for carp on the river this year to see how many is left. I asked this man has he caught anything and he said yes and he had 2 big carp. :fishing1:

Regards James

yeah i understood that river carp were just carp that lived in rivers but it looks like Grass carp are almost a whole different type by what I've read. and btw I live in Massachusetts on the east coast of the US. Anyways I went fishing today and wasnt going to try for the carp because I was so sick of them not biting on anything. When i got there , there were a few ppl in my spot and i asked if they'd seen the carp and the guy told me his girlfriend caught one(of course I didnt believe) so he brought me over to where the rest of his family was which was over at a different part that was more a strong river (about 7ft wide and 1.5ft deep and the current was furocious). I looked over and I see this fish on the ground and I checked it out, turns out it's a River Carp and not a Grass Carp. So yah it was about 2ft long and 15lbs, turns out the girlfriend was throwing them out of the river by hand as they tried jumping up the current. In the end she pulled out 4 all around the same size and I took one home to my pond so that I can raise a carp monster muhahahaha. But still I tried fishing for them and they just wont bite, and there are many more bigger than the 2ft ones.

Thanks for the location info. Always helps.

Are you fishing just below a hydroelectric dam or is it just a fast flowing river? Tactics are different.