Mackerel bashing

Zigs

You will have to try a bit harder next year.

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.p...uota__hike.html

we will keep trying, reminds me of star trek IV, mrs looking after 2 humpback whales & then having to release them to the waiting whaling ships :(

looks like we'll never catch another 7lb mackerell then :(

going totally off topic as usual, i'm off conger fishing with Hembo & John Storey in a minute. If we catch a decent one i'm going to smoke it & post a bit to Elton.

Some of you might remember John Storey, he cant be bothered to post on here anymore as he got fed up with the bickering. :( We still fish regularly though :)

will post a report if sucessfull.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Well thats good news.

It is good news, they (scientists and fishermen) are expecting more mackerel next year, and the controls on the fishery (now in place) are working effectively in making it a sustainable healthy fishery, regardless to the well publicized catching ability of the Shetland fleet.

Yes,good news to everyone..hope its like that for all fish..what get's me is the Thornback/Roker size in the North sea...I was told there is not one by a skipper????..I don't know...but looking in the local supermarkets/fish shop's it seems so at the small size of the wing's for sale...not started fishing for Thornback yet..it's normally in spring...but I can remember go off in my own boat from (WALCOTT,NORFOLK) and fish from 4lb up to 17lb was the norm..not now as I think the Shrimp boats from Kings Lynn pick them up..they work there gear about 150yrds of the beach...we was only using Rod and line at the time...going to try Gorleston in the morning,we will see.

Guest challenge
Yes,good news to everyone..hope its like that for all fish..what get's me is the Thornback/Roker size in the North sea...I was told there is not one by a skipper????..I don't know...but looking in the local supermarkets/fish shop's it seems so at the small size of the wing's for sale...not started fishing for Thornback yet..it's normally in spring...but I can remember go off in my own boat from (WALCOTT,NORFOLK) and fish from 4lb up to 17lb was the norm..not now as I think the Shrimp boats from Kings Lynn pick them up..they work there gear about 150yrds of the beach...we was only using Rod and line at the time...going to try Gorleston in the morning,we will see.

Well did you try gorleston?

Challenge we might go tomorrow not today with the wind and sea mate as you know...got to go and pay for the worms anyway...its not bad down there.. as which ever way wind is you can find some type of shelter or fish the Harbour side...ask Andrew what a 350gm Lobster is worth,why I ask is my local Lidl store are selling them frozen at £4.99..they came from Canada,also they had huge brown crabs,undressed in a vacum pack...no price from Ireland,some packs of 4/5 velvet crabs aswell,no price..they was about 5" across the shell,you might have the same stores up there???..I have asked Andrew for somemore crabs when I come up,and also you will know I passed your comments on...how you getting on with the boat??.

Challenge we might go tomorrow not today with the wind and sea mate as you know...got to go and pay for the worms anyway...its not bad down there.. as which ever way wind is you can find some type of shelter or fish the Harbour side...ask Andrew what a 350gm Lobster is worth,why I ask is my local Lidl store are selling them frozen at £4.99..they came from Canada,also they had huge brown crabs,undressed in a vacum pack...no price from Ireland,some packs of 4/5 velvet crabs aswell,no price..they was about 5" across the shell,you might have the same stores up there???..I have asked Andrew for somemore crabs when I come up,and also you will know I passed your comments on...how you getting on with the boat??.

Guest challenge

The boat is in dry dock in hull. Having new shaft and coupling fitted.

She is also having a bit of a paint job done. If you can guess the new colour before the 3rd of November. John said you will get a free trip. But you only get one guess. :sun:

Regards.

350 gm thats small dont think i would get away landing that nine quid a kilo last lot i sold graham velvets are nice but fiddly and sharp would be better for you to get fresh shellfish mate then you know what you are eating buy british :)