Braid. Is it just me that hates the stuff?

john frum

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevie cop

You may be none the wiser MJB, but you've been entertained!

Derek and Clive couldn't have done it better!

What you mean .. "you may be none the wiser"

As a result of this thread we now know that;

1, Braid can be used for Uptiding.

2, Fused braid is best used for casting.

3, You can uptide in 400' of water or North of the

Thames Estuary.. you just cant call it Uptiding.

4, You can Anchor in 400' using 410' of rope.

5, Fish only swim downtide, so scent trails and

rubby dubby are pointless.

:):)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Guest stevie cop

We also know that some anglers will embarrass themselves by spouting ******** about things they know nothing about.

From my "VAST" experience, given a boat full of competant angler who are all uptiding, the prime positions will be the rwo stern corners.

My theory to explain this is given four to five baits cast uptide on both sides of the boat, the fish then pick up the scent trail and swim uptide towards it, when they get to the scare area around the boat (in shallow water) they move out a bit and these are the first baits they come to.

Sam i have also extensivly tested braid for uptiding in the Thames estuary and have written many articles on the subject, and converted hundreds of my regular customers to this tecnique.

I regulary uptided with an 8' 50 gram spinning rod loaded with 15lb braid and a 2 ounce gemini, as you know i fished the same area's as you.

You must lighten up on you rod & your approach when uptiding with braid and once you have mastered it you will not go back.

Steve,

I still don't see why you insist there is only 1 way to do Uptiding properly. Like I said earlier, it may have been develeoped in one specific area of the UK by specific people, written about and publicised, but it doesn't have a patent or trademark etc.

If it is adapted to suit other conditions, water depth, tide flow, bottom type, species, fish swimming up tide, braid instead of mono, fixed spool instead of multi, or whatever, it doesn't suddenly become Not-Uptiding.

If the bait is cast out and is nailed to the sea-bed uptide of the boat then it is uptiding.

Obviuosly letting out slack on the anchor doesn't count ..... but it will catch you fish :)

Its a bit like saying the pendulum isn't casting because the layback is the only proper way to cast because it came first (OK I know it wasn't first but its as far back as my tiny mind goes....) Its a variation that might suit some people and some situations better.

It doesn't matter if it is efficient uptiding or inefficient uptiding, its all uptiding. What may be an efficient way in one are may not be so efficient in another and I think it is rather naive to presume that what works best in the Thames must be the best, nay, they only way to do it.

It was and is the best way wo do it in those circumstances. Beyond that keep an open mind.

To say you cannot uptide with braid is wrong, it can be, it is, and it does catch fish.

In your situation it may not be the most efficient way to do it, indeed it may very inefficient, and to advise that way is fine, its what this site is all about.

Guest stevie cop

There you go! Thank you Dave for your input, I was hoping that you might post on this subject. At last some input from someone who knows.

So there you have it. Dave used the uptide method of fishing with braid by using ultra light tackle. Light spinning rod, 15lb braid and 2 oz gemini lead. I am now more than happy to accept that it can be done, and I have learnt something.

However, Dave's is the only credible description of uptiding with braid that I've read on here, or anywhere else for that matter. I can see how it would work using very light rods and very light leads.

I still maintain though, with the exception of Dave Godwin, that no one on this forum has ever uptided "properly" with braid! As I mentioned a few pages back, the method is like a jigsaw, all the pieces have to fit together in order to work properly. Had anyone else have come up with the spinning rods and 2 oz weights, I'd have been more than happy to accept that they do indeed fit.

So, I've learnt something new from someone who knows.

I'll always accept good, sound advice, but I won't accept bull5h1t!

[ 05. July 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Steve Coppolo ]

Guest NickInTheNorth

But Steve he ain't doing it properly, for a full explanation please see earlier posts by yourself.