Braid. Is it just me that hates the stuff?

john frum

Sam.. trust me on this one mate... IT WORKS FOR UP TIDING. The Thames might be it's birth place, but it certainly aint the only place it's used. :rolleyes:

Fish are bumped off when you use a rod that's too stiff and you strike too hard.. that's why the new braid rods have softer tips than normal Carbon rods.

Once you learn to fish with it, you will never go back to nylon. :D:D

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no point in strikeing when uptideing as you stand no hope in taking up the bow, i have no dout that you have caught many fish uptideing with braid, but did you use anouther rod next to it with mono for a fair test.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

sam-cox:

ive been told its good for deep water wrecking, and i can kind of see this as the lack of stretch could be an advantage.

when you can lower a 1lb Bopedo lead till it just touches the bottom, then drop the rod slightly and feel the lead fall on it's side.. it's quite impressive esp when you do it in 400' of water

Davy

Guest jay_con

I have used two rods, one with braid and one without for uptiding. The catch rate is similer. The bite detection is significantly different and the fish fights like hell as soon as you catch up with it on the braid.

The more I read in these forums the more I realise that what works in some areas doesnt in others.

Hiya,

Sam when I mentioned striking I wasn't referring to up tiding :)

To be honest I've not caught many fish up tiding as 99.9999% of the time it is of no use to me since I'm normally fishing in 300 + foot of water. That being said there is the odd occasion where I will use it. I can also confirm that you can up tide in 400' with mono :)

I tried it and caught one of the few decent Cod I have ever caught up at Lochaline.. I gave it up though on the next cast when I hooked a Common on the up tide gear.. thankfully it crushed the hook after about 30 min :)

[ 30. June 2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

Guest stevie cop

I reckon in 300ft of water Davy, with any sort of tide, your weight would have been well down tide by the time it hit the bottom ;o)

Hiya,

nope the lead was still up tide :)

In the area I was fishing the tide is only really on the surface 50' of water and comes through in pushes. So by timing it right you can, providing you get a good cast, get the lead far enough up tide for it to still be up tide when it hits the bottom. :)

Davy

John?

I don`t think braid was introduced as a casting line. More as an aid for boat anglers to fish with lighter weights and improve bite detection.

Of course certain parties have now espoused its wonder properties, for everything from beach casting to uptiding!! :rolleyes:

But braid is extremely unforgiving if allowed to loop over itself just a couple of times. A birdsnest in braid has made many a shorefisher give up and return to mono. I`ve also been made to inspect my rings after several successive cut offs! Turned out the braid was substandard, even though it came from a `Big name brand` that rhymes with `Henn`.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

As with so many things up in that area, you have to experience it to believe it! There is often a current under the surface flow which is travelling in the oposite direction... Then yet another direction on the bottom layers.

Tight Lines

Shaun