defra annoucement on SFC's

Hi All

defra have issued a press release today on the future of SFC's

for the full press release cut and paste the address below

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2006/060620b.htm

the start of a new era or more of the same ? I suppose the devil will be in the detail and the following discussions on modernisation.

cheers

Tom

MODERNISED SEA FISHERIES COMMITTEES TO DELIVER IMPROVED INSHORE FISHERIES MANAGEMENT IN THE FUTURE

Modernised Sea Fisheries Committees (SFCs) will deliver improved management of fish stocks and the marine environment in England, Minister Ben Bradshaw announced today.

SFCs will be given new powers through the Marine Bill in line with the Government’s ongoing commitment to improve the way the country’s fisheries and marine environment are managed.

They will be given a more clearly defined purpose and duties, and will be tasked with achieving sustainable development of fisheries within their jurisdiction. They will also work to reduce the impact of fishing on the marine environment, while having regard for the economic development of the fisheries sector.

SFCs will continue to be responsible for management up to six nautical miles offshore, but their jurisdiction will be extended inland to assist in the enforcement of landed stocks.

They will be given powers to introduce quicker, more effective management measures, and will work more closely with the Government’s Marine Fisheries Agency.

Mr Bradshaw said: “It’s vital we improve the way the marine environment is managed, and modernised Sea Fisheries Committees will play a vital role in this.

“My decision follows an extensive review of inshore fisheries management. I believe the approach I’ve adopted is the best, most effective way to achieve healthy fish stocks and sustainable seas, while retaining necessary local input in the day-to-day running of these waters. It is important that we now work closely with SFCs and others in drawing up the detailed provisions needed through the Marine Bill to deliver these changes.”

The Minister’s decision follows extensive stakeholder engagement and a working group review of the recommendations on inshore management reform made in the Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit report Net Benefits and Defra’s own Review of Marine Fisheries and Environmental Enforcement.

Notes to Editors

1. There are currently 12 Sea Fisheries Committees (SFCs) in England and Wales established under the Sea Fisheries (Regulation) Act 1966. SFCs are local authority committees wholly funded by levy on their constituent local Councils (except for some EC grants for fisheries enforcement).

2. The 12 SFCs cover most of the coast in England and Wales except certain estuaries such as the Dee and Severn where the Environment Agency acts as an SFC. The seaward limit of SFC districts is six nautical miles from baselines; the landward limit is generally the high water mark.

3. SFCs regulate sea fisheries in their districts by means of byelaws. Byelaws can regulate fishing methods and fishing gear, restrict fishing seasons, set minimum sizes for fish and shellfish, manage and protect shellfish beds or control fishing for environmental purposes. Byelaws come into force when confirmed by the Secretary of State and/or the Welsh Assembly Government, after advertisement for objections, in accordance with the Sea Fisheries (Byelaws) Regulations 1985 (Statutory Instrument 1985 No; 1785). The byelaw making powers of SFCs are laid down in Section 5 of the Sea Fisheries (Regulation) Act 1966 (as amended). SFC byelaws cannot be less restrictive, but may be more restrictive, than national or EC fisheries legislation, Some SFCs are also grantees of Regulating Orders for molluscan shellfish made under Section 1 of the Sea Fisheries (Shellfish) Act 1967.

4. SFCs appoint their own fishery officers for the purpose of enforcing their byelaws. SFC fishery officers may also be involved with the enforcement of a range of national and Community fisheries legislation in coastal waters either independently or, as British Sea Fisheries Officers, in conjunction with the Government’s Marine Fisheries Agency.

5. Half the members on each SFC are appointed by its constituent Councils. The other half consists of members appointed by the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, and/or the Welsh Assembly Government and one member appointed by the Environment Agency (except for the Isles of Scilly SFC).

6. Legislative changes required to modernise SFCs will be pursued through the Government’s planned Marine Bill. A consultation on the Marine Bill closes on 23 June 2006.

7. More information on the Marine Bill can be found at http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/water/...-bill/index.htm

8. More fisheries information can be found at http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/sea/sfp/

Press enquiries 020 7238 6094;Public enquiries 08459 335577;

Press notices are available on our website

www.defra.gov.uk

Defra’s aim is sustainable development

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what does all that mean then? Nothing as far as I can see. Everything stays the same, same old same old. If SFC's are going to be modernised in the same way as public services have been modernised, then things are about to get a whole lot worse.

How many man hours and pound notes did it cost to come up with that I wonder?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

On having tried to read through the marine bill fisheries part, this has come as a little bit of a surprise as they said that fisheries management had already been taken into account in the net benefits report, and therefore fisheries were unlikely to be covered in the marine bill.

If anyone is having trouble sleeping at the moment, I can highly recommend reading the marine bill!

The only problem with this is you may not wake up again :D

Live to fish!!

Will they be employing some unbiased and objective officers who dont take a pint with the fishermen on an evening and try to police them the next day ?

Probably not Glenn. It'll be the same old people doing, (or not doing as the case may be), the same old jobs. The only difference is the modernisation bit. That means they will have more responsiblities and less money. Therefore they will become even more ineffectual than they are now.

The cop out has started.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

It's fun to read between the lines.

Take this:

"They will be given a more clearly defined purpose and duties, and will be tasked with achieving sustainable development of fisheries within their jurisdiction. They will also work to reduce the impact of fishing on the marine environment, while having regard for the economic development of the fisheries sector.

They will be given powers to introduce quicker, more effective management measures, and will work more closely with the Government's Marine Fisheries Agency. "

And remember what was said by Bradshaw in September 2004

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../28/nfish28.xml

"The minister indicated that he was looking to reform the role of Britain's sea fisheries committees, which are responsible for inshore waters.

He said the committees, which are dominated by commercial interests, were "archaic", were not obliged to do what ministers told them and made it very difficult to create marine reserves as required by EU law."

"They will be given powers to introduce quicker, more effective management measures, and will work more closely with the Government's Marine Fisheries Agency. "

hmmmmmm!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

by EU law."

"They will be given powers to introduce quicker, more effective management measures, and will work more closely with the Government's Marine Fisheries Agency. "

hmmmmmm!

Ah, but can the will to do so be forced upon them? We've got management measures coming out of our arses already, but hardly any are enforced by those with the responsiblity to do so.

All that anouncement means Leon is more paper work, more targets, more sound bytes and not much else.

Don't drink and drive.

Will they be employing some unbiased and objective officers who dont take a pint with the fishermen on an evening and try to police them the next day ?

Hi glennk

try repeating that to the nesfc officer in area 1 (tyne and wear) hes had his car trashed twice i think and has also instigated quite a few prosecutions since he started (about a year i think)

Now Now Leon you are being deliberately provocative, the minister said the legislation that the SFCs were working with was archiac not the organisations per se.

Engage properly now and it will be good for the sport, spending the next months years/complaining that this is not anglers prefered model will be fruitless and will ultimately lead to a less constructive dailogue as the Marine Bill will have been developed.

Lets forget historic prejudices and work to ensure our needs are better addressed in future through this reformed organisation.

Hi glennk

try repeating that to the nesfc officer in area 1 (tyne and wear) hes had his car trashed twice i think and has also instigated quite a few prosecutions since he started (about a year i think)

That is good news Slackline (although not for the person in question). I personally would like to see more officers of the same mind. CCTV would be beneficial in catching the people harrassing him and then they should be jailed. How did you learn about this person ? I would like to write to his bosses to say well done for employing such a person.