What is the best bait for Carp?

James Pos

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello James,thats a monster,monster question you are asking! Do you want to know what baits to use or what ones Im using or what ones Ive caught the most on or the biggest on or quickest on or what? :o

Over the years Ive both used and seen used many different types narrow it down a bit mate and you will get better answers.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi James,

My chosen bait for carp will depend a lot on the venue and how I’m fishing it.

My favourite way of fishing for carp is by stalking, where you can get ‘up close and personal’ with your quarry, and my preferred bait for this approach would be worm fished over a little particle mix – absolutely deadly at close range.

I also like to use a lot of natural baits, as I feel many anglers overlook them so again, I find they work very well; nuts, beans, maize, etc. You need to make sure they are well soaked and prepared properly before use though.

If I’m fishing at range, I’ll most likely use boilies. My favourite types are Snail & Shell and Shellfish B5, and I prefer fresh/frozen to shelf life.

At the moment I’m doing a lot of surface fishing for carp, so it’s dog biscuits fished on the top, I like to use Pedigree Mixer.

Tight Lines…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I do like Halibut pellets but have found carp do wise up to them quickly.

Two Killer baits are red maggots and bread in many forms ( (flake, paste, crust).

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I will be doing this weekend at a great lake in Virginia.

Hookbaits will be either range cubes or maize (plan to try two rods with each and then move to the one that is working. Maize flavors are hot (texas pete sauce), strawberry, vanilla, and some mega spice. Again, a matter of finding out which one is working.

It could well be that all will catch or that only one or two will catch or that none will. That's half the fun.

I'll be using pva with some slightly pre-softened range cubes to bait by those rods and unflavored maize for those. Probably fishing within catapault range so I can sweeten the swims pretty easily. For summer fishing, range cubes have proven to be about the most reliable bait for me in that they nearly always catch.

If I had access to boilies, I'd have a problem since I like to sorta match them to the naturals and the water is far enough away that I haven't been there in several years and don't have anyone there to ask. Ah well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Much as Julian says different venues and different times of year dictate what bait I use.

Also same as Julian much of my fishing is stalking at this time of year.I to like a worm but prefer to use it over a hand full of sweetcorn or trout pellets.

My surface fishing is also done with mixer.

When using boillies I use quite large (20mm) ones supplied to me by GB Baits (what ever flavour they are playing with at the time!) Im not fussy as all of their baits have always caught for me.

On easy waters where boillies arnt necesary then its Maize for me or Trout Pellet Paste over Trout Pellets.

If Im fishing a water with only carp in then I like to use maggots.Live on the hook and loads dead for freebies.

Most waters I fish regardless of bait used I put in either hemp or trout pellet as loose feed.

Much as Julian says different venues and different times of year dictate what bait I use.

Also same as Julian much of my fishing is stalking at this time of year.I to like a worm but prefer to use it over a hand full of sweetcorn or trout pellets.

My surface fishing is also done with mixer.

When using boillies I use quite large (20mm) ones supplied to me by GB Baits (what ever flavour they are playing with at the time!) Im not fussy as all of their baits have always caught for me.

On easy waters where boillies arnt necesary then its Maize for me or Trout Pellet Paste over Trout Pellets.

If Im fishing a water with only carp in then I like to use maggots.Live on the hook and loads dead for freebies.

Most waters I fish regardless of bait used I put in either hemp or trout pellet as loose feed.

Is it my imagination or has chum mixer got smaller ?

Non Pedigree Chum type mixers have always been smaller than the real thing,maybe thats the issue?Or do you think that the origonal is smaller than it used to be? Ive not noticed as for years Ive been using the bulk stuff we used to get for our Security dogs! Dont ask me what brand it is or what packet it comes in.....no secret just that the big black dustbins full of the stuff never had any labels on!

My personal fav baite for Carp is double corn ,allways seems to work.But often use Pinapple boilie or source boilie.Had a good bit of luck on Halibut as well but they seem to be fizzing out.