Scottish RSA - first steps to political identity

I believe as a direct result of the email campaign, the Scottish executive have finally got round to inviting the Scottish SACN and the SFSA to a meeting to discuss our aims. The Head of inshore fisheries and the Head of tourism will be in attendance.

I must stress this is only a first step but well done to all, who sent the emails. It shows pressure applied in the right direction can achieve results.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Well done to all concerned,lets just hope they take our views on board :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

As part of this meeting we would like to give the Exec a good overview of fishing/tourism opportunities that have gone away or are being missed out on, if you can hazard a guess as to how much money is involved - great - if not, I'll work something out;

a couple of examples:

West coast charter fleet used to be around 70 boats full & part time - now it's less than 10. == around £1M lost revenue

During the 70’s and 80’s the Arran sea-angling festival in Lamlash Bay was famous for the quality and quantity of fish but in 1994, the final year of the festival, the total catch was below 200lbs. --- tourism cost £???

We don't want to be limited to what we think/know, so we need your help and input here if we are to make the most of the opportunity.

Glenk - I'm expecting especially great stuff from you :)

Butlins open run by Ayr sac 300+ entries....

SW Flounder match run by Ayr sac 200+ entries....

sw troon sweepstake run by Ayr sac 50+ entries ....

Ayr boat festival 100+ entries run by Ayr sac...

newton shore sweeps run by Ayr sac 50+ entries...

all now cancelled because there are no fish to catch...

salcoats open ( formerly white horse ) 1000+ entries cancelled because there are no fish. heaviest cod prize unclaimed by 1000+ anglers.

I didnt go to the fife open because the family were at Butlins that week. My m8 and partner went I will ask them about their stay and how much it cost. Another lad I know called Martyn who reads these forums also never went this year but I know him and his m8's go most years with some of them being past winners I will ask them about how much they usually spend.

Roker Chris is something to do with the organisation of the event so perhaps he could offer input on how much revenue was involved.

Butlins open run by Ayr sac 300+ entries....

SW Flounder match run by Ayr sac 200+ entries....

sw troon sweepstake run by Ayr sac 50+ entries ....

Ayr boat festival 100+ entries run by Ayr sac...

newton shore sweeps run by Ayr sac 50+ entries...

all now cancelled because there are no fish to catch...

salcoats open ( formerly white horse ) 1000+ entries cancelled because there are no fish. heaviest cod prize unclaimed by 1000+ anglers.

Dale - great input - now more questions

were these all one day comps ?

any idea of % split local/non-local anglers ?

would many B&B ?

I'd be grateful for any ideas, but no sweat if you don't know.

For the meeting with the exec, I want to present an accurate summary of the state of our inshore fish stocks Has the fishing improved or declined in your area? If species have disappeared or not worth targeting or have increased please post

The Scottish executive fisheries groups are totally out of touch with what is happening to our inshore fisheries as shown by Mr Finnie’s quote “Indeed, I would dispute your constituents suggestion that Scotland’s inshore commercial sector is guilty of over exploitation. The industry is quite rightly strictly regulated and, whilst not suggesting that there is no further room for improvement, the major part of the industry is clear that the long term viability of fishing and the communities that it supports depends on the coherent, environmentally responsible, strategically minded and very careful management.”

The reality is that species are disappearing from some areas at an alarming rate, and angler’s catches have dropped accordingly. Ten, once abundant species have totally disappeared for anglers from South West Scotland namely

Cuckoo Ray

Spotted Ray

Blonde Ray

Dragonet,

Hake

Spur dog

Turbot

Brill

Poor Cod

Scad

Species that are caught less often and then usually juvenile fish.

Haddock

Cod

Whiting

Dabs

Conger

Plaice

Thornback Ray

Red Gurnard

Coal fish

The only fish in South West Scotland that seem to be increasing in numbers are LSD’s and Bass.

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk