Tywyn Tope This W/E

nifty

Jon,

it dependson the circumstances, but often fly will will outfish lures because of the delicate presentation and the extra movement within a fly - the limitation is getting within range. If you can find a spot where they are holding up against the tide, then a fly drifted down and across is every bit as effective as a lure. I have had times when I have fished a fly and caught fish while the boats round about throwing 20g tobies and german sprats into the same shoal have caught nothing.

When you are trying to locate fish though, trolling is a very good way of covering ground and casting 50 yards gives you a bigger radius of operation than the 20 yard restriction of fly gear. If fish are visible chasing prey - the fly will work just as well as the lures or bait, sometimes better.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a word of warning for anyone contemplating future Tope adventures - wear a long sleeve top if youre going to bring them onboard. The beastie grazed my arm to pieces and salt water only adds to the effect :blink: Trousers as opposed to shorts are an obvious advantage :yeah:

I've always found that a silly hat helps too :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

sorry couldn't resist it! :crazy:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Musket,

Until my trip with the UKSWFF lads I had always blanked when SWFFing, watching them and with a little help I've managed to turn it around.

Ragworm has got my biggest bass at 4.5lb

Plugs and spinners, well Ralph who was with me caught 4 bass

Fishing the fly on the last trip I tried a tested pattern, but without much luck, so tied on my little Schminnow tied on a size 6 hook.

Within a couple of casts I was into my first fish, which promptly chucked up its dinner, a very small fry, which was similar in size to my Schminnow, obviously the right thing for the day.

The fish were jumping all around us for a good hour, and I lost a few others, most fun I've had for weeks and the most bass that I've had in one session.

Find it more satisfying catching on the fly, probably more so because I had built the rod and tied the fly.

Simon mentions trolling, you can troll with a fly rod and line, and this has proven successful in the past, even though some might think it cheating :D

Sorry to pinch this thread guys.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com