Ban on scallop dredging

spanner

Hiya, I dont worry too much about my kids, they are old enough now...its the Grandkids..... <_< I would love to take my grandson fishing in a few years..if theres anything left to fish for...... :(

I know there is NO easy answer to it all...... :(

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Here in the I.o.M an area one mile square off Port Erin was made a no go zone a few years ago to study the impact dredging of scallops had on the marine enviroment.

The no go area was previously dredged continuosly like the surrounding area.

Studies have shown a massive regeneration of marine life in the one square mile since it has not been dredged.

So much so that after seeing photo's of both areas its hard to believe that the previous "lunar" ground could ever sustain any sort of marine life.

The local scallopers can been seen dredging right up to the edges these days and getting some good hauls to.

Recently during the underwater study it was seen that some boat had dredged through a few times for a quick tow or two and done considerable damage.

To stop any other boat doing the same a load of tank traps made of old railway lines welded together, have been deposited in the said area.

This will certainly stop any skipper after a quick buck from towing through again.

Given time nature will heal most things if its given a chance.

Its long past time that no go areas were introduced, commercial fishermen seem to think that everything in the sea is Gods gift to them.

It isn't it belongs to everyone, and I want my bit properly looked after so the people coming after me can get the same pleasure and enjoyment out of it that I have had.

Edited by Manxman

I take your point Ian but will they ever learn or admit that it is causing damage???

Recently during the underwater study it was seen that some boat had dredged through a few times for a quick tow or two and done considerable damage

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

the penalties need to be harsher ken.

i remember reading a year or so ago, that a fisherman was caught fishing in "las columbetes"

this is a marine reserve around some islands off of valencia.

he was fined of course, but also BANNED from fishing for 12 years.

nice one. :yeah: