How To Use A Baitrunner Reel

Elton

Sent to us by Steven - please post all replies to this thread:

i've just bought a baitrunner reel and want to know the best way to use it.

There's a brief explanation of what a baitrunner is, here:

http://www.carpreel.co.uk/carp_reel_buyers..._carp_reel.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Sent to us by Steven - please post all replies to this thread:

buy a book/video or get some tuition

ducks and runs for cover :lol:

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

A fixed spool reel with the 'baitrunner' feature allows you to have your normal clutch setting for when you have a fish on but to have another and usually much lighter setting for the baitrunner clutch.

When the rod is in a rest (bank stick, rod pod, whatever) you engage the baitrunner clutch so the fish will not feel pressure and then when you strike, you are put immediately onto the main clutch.

It is preferred by many anglers over the other option of just opening your bail because it does keep a very light tension on the line which is much easier to deal with if conditions are windy or if there is current.

Most 'baitrunner' reels are designed so that turning the handle automatically moves you from baitrunner clutch to the main clutch but some reels require you to manually switch over.

The answer to your specific question about the best way to use it will depend on where and how you are fishing. Without knowing that, we can't give much help which is why this topic sat for a while with no answers.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I dont think anyone replied because we were all waiting for "All things piscatorial" to come on and reccomend a PAA coach......................who would gladly help er,erm for an exhorbitant (sp?) fee that is.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Stephen..simple answer...go to your local tackle shop and ask to be shown...or go to the local lake and ask someone fishing...1 minute of instruction is worth a thousand words of description (sorry Newt :) )

Den (blimey Budgie, these questions are getting harder all the time :) )

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I thought they were purely to make a fish hook itself on a bolt rig without pulling the rod in.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I had to look twice then to see which Peter was posting then!

Too right they are getting harder Den! maybe thats why no PAA coachs have replied?

Elton where does the Steven dude live?

Den is right though,despite Newts well worded reply its a shame the guy cant go out with some one as judging by this question I bet hes loads of others to,or will have any way! Thats the real problem with angling...the more you learn the more you realise that there is still so much more to learn! Questions begat questions! (Cor that was almost biblical!) :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Obvious, but...

• Ensure that the anti-reverse switch is on so that the reel handle cannot rotate backwards.
  • Don't set the bait runner clutch too loose.

Both of the above are so you don't get tangles or a birds nest on a fast run, a locked up reel kind of negates the freespool advantages :blink:.

I thought they were purely to make a fish hook itself on a bolt rig without pulling the rod in.

Oh. I thought that they were to stop the 410 bail arm ripping into my knuckles every time I had a "Churner"... :2:

Best Fishes

Zaph'

--------------

http://www.tenchfishers.net

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

when you strike, you are put immediately onto the main clutch.

not always the case some reels you have to turn the baitrunner off before striking