How To Use A Baitrunner Reel

Elton

Den is right though,despite Newts well worded reply its a shame the guy cant go out with some one as judging by this question I bet hes loads of others to,or will have any way! Thats the real problem with angling...the more you learn the more you realise that there is still so much more to learn! Questions begat questions! (Cor that was almost biblical!) :rolleyes:

Absolutly correct , a practical demonstration as to how to set up your rods reels drop offs and alarms is so much easier than trying to explain.

I was out on the river on Mon night and got asked the very same question and tried to demonstrate how things worked with a spare drop off and a bit of imagination when I found it easier to get over an already set up rod and show how to set up. The drop back run and the forward run were shown and demonstrated how to tell the difference with the aid of an alarm and a decent drop off and the person concerned was able to pick it up very easily once shown.

Whilst demonstrating on one rod I pointed to another and said "that one will take off in less than a minute" to which a blank look was the reply , but the look on his face when it did was amazement both that I was right but also at how easy it is to show a run when it actually happens and all the fancy equipment works.

As a result the chap concerned is now going to invest in decent drop offs and alarms so thats got to be a result for the welfare of the fish

Absolutly correct , a practical demonstration as to how to set up your rods reels drop offs and alarms is so much easier than trying to explain.

I was out on the river on Mon night and got asked the very same question and tried to demonstrate how things worked with a spare drop off and a bit of imagination when I found it easier to get over an already set up rod and show how to set up. The drop back run and the forward run were shown and demonstrated how to tell the difference with the aid of an alarm and a decent drop off and the person concerned was able to pick it up very easily once shown.

Whilst demonstrating on one rod I pointed to another and said "that one will take off in less than a minute" to which a blank look was the reply , but the look on his face when it did was amazement both that I was right but also at how easy it is to show a run when it actually happens and all the fancy equipment works.

As a result the chap concerned is now going to invest in decent drop offs and alarms so thats got to be a result for the welfare of the fish

How do investing in decent drop offs and alarms improve the welfare of the fish??? :unsure: I would say that the opposite is true.

Devonian,assuming that some one is going to fish for them without good bite indication anyway the fish is liable to be deep hooked.As we want to catch them but cause minimal damage to the fish Brian correctly states that a good bite indication system and correct supervision (obviously along with good handling and unhooking skills) will in deed minimise the chance of deep hooking,minimise the potential for damage to the fish and there by be "better for its welfare".

Yes if we were 100% concerned for the pikes welfare then we wouldnt be fishing for them anyway but then we wouldnt be having this conversation would we..........

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I was lent a baitrunner reel last trip but was recommended to not use it and just have the drag set loose instead so the fish hooked itself but didn't pull in the rod. It did appear to be very loose to my very inexperienced eyes. What's the boards feelings on this ?

Tony

Tony

Tony, there are two clutches on Shimano baitrunners - the usual one to set the drag when you are playing a fish and a baitrunner one to set the drag when the baitrunner is set on. Next time you get to use it, have a look at the adjuster knob - the little ring behind the knob sets the free spool drag.

Pete

• 2 years later...

Just bumping this to the top, as it's getting a fair few views, so the question is obviously still topical.

Also, if you're looking for cheap baitrunners for sale, please click here.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE